Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  When registering, some people aren't receiving their Validation Email.  If you haven't received it within a few hours of registering, please email admin@zephyr-zone.com
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rebuilding Shocks (Read 5941 times)
GPzephyrTurbo
Zephyr1100

Boosting!!!!

Charing, Kent.
Rebuilding Shocks
Feb 17th, 2008 at 8:12pm

Well after reading the the other post on shocks
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I thought why not., Theres nothing on telly so here I am out in the garage yet again.

Took a shock off my 750 and proceeded to take it apart.

First up take the spring off. I have a pair of car type spring compressors which are really too large for this but with the preload set to minimum it doesn't take much compressing to be able to remove the cup at the bottom.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

With the spring removed I then drilled a couple of small holes (4mm) in the chrome cap under the piggyback section. Using the top of a coathanger twisted around a bit I pulled the cap off with some grips.

Underneath you'll find a tyre type valve so I took the cap off that and released the pressure inside. There was virtualy nothing in mine.
Next I pushed the bladder thing further in using a socket so it reveals a clip. Prise the clip out with a small flat bladed screwdriver.
Using something on the end of the valve pull the bladder thing out. (I used a right angle adapter I had for getting to hard to reach tyres, but anything like that'll do). There is oil inside so be careful.

Next up is the main piston assembly. Put the shock in a vice and using a large flat screwdriver and hammer prise the lower cap off. This reveals a load of seals which need pushing in further to reveal another two clips. Get them out using the same method as before and then give the whole piston rod a pull and out it all comes. Hold the shock upright as you do this as there will be oil inside again.

And thats the disassembly. It took me 20 minutes in all, and it was a whole lot easier than I expected.

Cleaning comes next. My shock is pretty dirty inside and out so will get this done. The old oil that came out was filthy and very little left so the shock never was going to work properly.

Cant do the reassembly yet as I need to pop by the bike shop and get some more oil.  Cheesy Cheesy

To be continued.............

1991 Zephyr 810 Turbo
1989 Kooter Brown Saturn 750 Turbo
1999 Kawasaki ZX7R
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1507875951  
IP Logged

clone5
Global Moderator
Donation 1

schwar is coming...

Sydney, Australia
Re: Rebuilding Shocks
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 11:31am

Good job!

C1 - 23 years and counting

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or RegisterMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Cafe Racer
ZR750-C1
WWW http://www.facebook.com/#!/joshua.j.newman.3 8518835  
IP Logged

zr1100uk
Zephyr

I ride a Zephyr 1100

Nottingham England
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 1:12pm

Hi GP,

Your how to is alot easier to follow than the other guys, for me anyway, looking forward to the next part, i bet my shocks will be almost empty of oil as they have been on from new never touched...
Thanks for the how to....Rex.... Cool

ZR550-B3&&ZR750 FRAME B12 ENGINE PROJECT BUILD&&SUZUKI GSX1100ET FRAME PROJECT BUILD COLLECTING PARTS&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;        &&
projectzephyr  
IP Logged

bigzeph
Big Zephyr
Donation 1

Southampton , England
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 7:52pm

Well done Chris. Smiley

Even Greasy should be able to understand that Wink

IP Logged

GPzephyrTurbo
Zephyr1100

Boosting!!!!

Charing, Kent.
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 11:25pm

...........Part two.

Im going to use 10W fork oil to do this.

I tried a couple of methods and the best way of doing this is to put the bare shock upside down in a vise. On the shock itself turn the compression damper setting to No4 which restricts the flow between the main tube and the reservoir. (This is setting No1 in the pic, just make sure its on 4)

Then place a clean bowl (washing up bowl is good if you can sneak it out of the kitchen  Cheesy) under the vise so any fluid that will come out can be saved.
Fill the main shock body up to the top.

Then push the piston in carefully followed by the seal. Make sure there is still loads of oil, It doesnt matter if it overflows into the bowl, the main thing is to eliminate any air in the shock.

Relpace the two clips and tap the end bit home.

Next up is the reservoir. Fill this with oil to about an inch off the top. Then put the bladder thing in. Oil will go over the side but this is ok. Push it home as hard as you can with you hand. This is not so easy as mine wanted to pop straight out again. It helps to let a bit more air out of the bladder if required.

Now it has sealed the reservoir a bit we can put it in the vise with the socket and push it the rest of the way home and put the clip in.

Take note that on one of my shocks I put just a wee bit too much oil in and wasn't able to push the bladder in far enough to get the clip in, nearly broke my vise. I took a little out and it was fine. doesn't always work first time.

Lastly put the spring back on.

Thats the general reassembly done. Normally one would need to fill the bladders with pressurized nitrogen. Im not going to use nitrogen, I dont have a handy supply, so Im just going to fill them to 150psi with normal air using a compressor. I'll do that tomorrow.

I'll let you all know if it makes any difference. Undecided  Grin

Chris

1991 Zephyr 810 Turbo
1999 Kawasaki ZX7R
IP Logged

jayhaus
Zephyr

I wanna be a Japanese
Superhero when I grow
up.

Honolulu
Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 4:01am

Very Nice explanation!!  Smiley
Is it possible to just remove that dust cap and charge up with gas or air without going through the whole overhaul? Just to liven up the shocks a little bit?         -jh

zr550  in Hawaii wheeeeeee!

IP Logged

HeavenEleven
Zephyr1100
Donation 1

'97 1100-B1

Surrey - Southern England
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 8:39am

jayhaus wrote on Feb 19th, 2008 at 4:01am:
Very Nice explanation!!  Smiley
Is it possible to just remove that dust cap and charge up with gas or air without going through the whole overhaul? Just to liven up the shocks a little bit?         -jh

Yes it is.

But TAKE CARE as the Schrader valve is machined into the cap and is made from aluminium.

It can break off very easily, as I found out to my horror  Shocked

I had to buy replacement valves, drill out the old ones and bolt in the new.

You can use air instead of nitrogen because the rubber bladder is all that you are inflating, so it will be harmless in there.

By the way - well done GPzephyrTurbo  Smiley

GET A PROPER BIKE... ABSOLUTELY KWACKERS!

IP Logged

GPzephyrTurbo
Zephyr1100

Boosting!!!!

Charing, Kent.
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 1:54pm

Took the two shocks around to my Dads place where he has a compressor.
Unfortunately the compressors only rated to 120psi but that'll do.. Plugged the air line in and gave it a burst. As the bladders are small it was very quick. I suspect that releasing the airline has cost me some psi but its still better than nowt. I'd recommend a better method.

Fitted the shocks back on the bike and went for a short spin.
I find that the damper setting certainly need to be backed off a bit. Whereas before I was running both settings on 4 Now I find I need to back them off to 2, so the damping is certainly working for a change. Cheesy
It'll need a good long run to find the best settings, for now though i'm happy.

1991 Zephyr 810 Turbo
1999 Kawasaki ZX7R
IP Logged

zr1100uk
Zephyr

I ride a Zephyr 1100

Nottingham England
Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 4:44pm

Hi GP,

So would you recommend more air than the 120psi you put in, or do you think it is enough, i run a zr1100 are the shocks all set to the same pressure...?
Fantastic  write up easy for me to follow as i'm not a tec head...lol
but do have the urge to learn....
Thanks Rex... Cool

ZR550-B3&&ZR750 FRAME B12 ENGINE PROJECT BUILD&&SUZUKI GSX1100ET FRAME PROJECT BUILD COLLECTING PARTS&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;        &&
projectzephyr  
IP Logged

GPzephyrTurbo
Zephyr1100

Boosting!!!!

Charing, Kent.
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 5:55pm

zr1100uk wrote on Feb 19th, 2008 at 4:44pm:
Hi GP,

So would you recommend more air than the 120psi you put in, or do you think it is enough, i run a zr1100 are the shocks all set to the same pressure...?
Fantastic  write up easy for me to follow as i'm not a tec head...lol
but do have the urge to learn....
Thanks Rex... Cool

Hi Rex
I only got the figure of 150psi off that other write up. Since the shocks are pretty much identical inside thats what I decided to go along with.
Need to really get them charged up properly.

Jayhaus.
I wouldn't think its worth just getting the pressure back in. The trouble is the oil level would have gone down over time and as a result the bladder probably wouldn't be able to act on it.

1991 Zephyr 810 Turbo
1999 Kawasaki ZX7R
IP Logged

zr1100uk
Zephyr

I ride a Zephyr 1100

Nottingham England
Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 7:46pm

Hi GP,

Thanks for that any idea where to get them charged up, im notts based....
Thanks....Rex    Wink

projectzephyr  
IP Logged

andy
Zephyr750
Donation 1

sod it go for a ride.....

buxton,derbyshire
Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 9:29am

if they needed to be presurised with nitrogen why not try car tyre places as some can fill your tyres up with nitrogen. just a thought.they would probably have enough pressure to do the job?

twisty roads are fun!! THERE'S A BIT OF "OGRI" IN ALL OF US!!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

rickee
Big Zephyr

la la la la

Reading UK
Reply #12 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 2:19pm

So... How much to buy your newly serviced shocks, with mine as part ex?  Wink

94 Yamaha YZF750R, OOracing Monkey bike - 125cc Lifan engine, monoshocked, Honda (possibly) Dax - C90 engine, Yamaha DT125 swingarm and custom fuel tank.

IP Logged

HeavenEleven
Zephyr1100
Donation 1

'97 1100-B1

Surrey - Southern England
Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 8:34am

I left my piggy back blanking caps off so now I can charge them up anytime.

A plastic seal pushed up inside and around the valve keeps the muck out  Smiley

GET A PROPER BIKE... ABSOLUTELY KWACKERS!

IP Logged

zr1100uk
Zephyr

I ride a Zephyr 1100

Nottingham England
Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 12:14pm

Hi HeavenEleven,

Thats a good idea, did you buy the seals and caps if so where from please...? price....?
Or did you make them,... if so how, and what did you use...?

Thanks for the info....Rex... Cool

projectzephyr  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print