Richard's ZR750C1 Restoration Project

Document your ongoing rebuilds and restorations here
Richard

Re: Richard's ZR750C1 Restoration Project

Post by Richard »

Thanks mate, very happy with the outcome thus far 8-)
Richard

Post by Richard »

And finally the bike is at home :!: Bought it in July 2016 and worked on and off on its restauration ever since. Time sure flies... :cry:

The idea is to grab it for a spin in the coming evenings when the weather allows it, too much rain in the last couple of weeks :roll:
20210809_210055_comp.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

By now finally the cold period has passed and the wheater is getting better and better, i.e warmer and more dry. So I took the bike for a longer testride around the polder where I live on a 2 hour trip of 120km.
Zephyr test ride 20220418.PNG
The tulips are blooming in large fields and I couln't resist to take a picture ;)
20220418_160341_resized.jpg
The good news is the trip went just fine with no major issues appart from me missing gears while up-shifting with my new boots :roll:
There are no signs of any leakage nor exsessive use of oil. I am looking forward to take it for a spin more often this year and perhaps plan a longer ride with my son through Germany whenever we both can find the time...
Richard

Post by Richard »

Got my covid booster yesterday and like with the previous ones I'm not feeling that well now...
So I started cleaning up my room in the attick and found this one to my suprise, competely forgot about its existence :geek:

So I will mount it in the coming week, am very curiuos about the result, but it's bought on Freddies recommendation so I expect great results :P
20220501_141859_resized.jpg
Last edited by Richard on 01 May 2022, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
ZoneAdmin
Site Admin

Post by ZoneAdmin »

Hi Richard, I would be very interested in you feedback on the effectiveness of this.
Regards
Dennis

Current bikes: Zephyr 750 C4, Zephyr 750 C3
-------------------------------------------------------
Previous bikes: Kawasaki Z1000 A2, Kawasaki KH400 A4, Kawasaki KH250 B1
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Richard wrote:So I will mount it in the coming week, am very curiuos about the result, but it's bought on Freddies recommendation so I expect great results :P
20220501_141859_resized.jpg
Measure the front fork 'stiction' before fitting the fork brace, and then again after. The biggest possible pitfall is introducing additional friction into the front forks because the brace isn't fitted perfectly aligned, causing the forks to kink ever so slightly. Even the slightest kink will cause addition friction, which will be felt as a harsher ride.

If the 'stiction' measure is essentially identical pre and post fitting the brace, as well as being minimal (say 5mm) then you can be confident you haven't introduced any twist. Another way to check is to fit the two fork clamps, and before tightening up the connecting brace, check the connecting brace sits simultaneously dead flat on all four attachment points. There should be no 'wobble' (I'm mean like a 4 legged chair sitting on an uneven surface) of the plate, none, zero. Adjust the fork attachment clamps till it does sit DEAD flat.

How to measure 'stiction' you may ask ...... https://racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

If you want to get a feel for just how much twist a fork brace takes out of a conventional suspension. Stand in front of the bike supporting it upright by the bars, with the front wheel locked solid between your knees. Push the bars back and forth trying to prevent ANY movement of the front wheel with your legs. Observe just how much back/forth movement of the bars you can get. That reflects how much the front wheel is able to float around/change direction without you moving the bars. That's what is happening when you are cornering, hit a grooved road, pass over road humps/dips.

Repeat the exercise after fitting the fork brace and note the reduction in flex. On the road the difference in feel should be immediately noticeable, and significant.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Freddy wrote:If you want to get a feel for just how much twist a fork brace takes out of a conventional suspension. Stand in front of the bike supporting it upright by the bars, with the front wheel locked solid between your knees. Push the bars back and forth trying to prevent ANY movement of the front wheel with your legs. Observe just how much back/forth movement of the bars you can get. That reflects how much the front wheel is able to float around/change direction without you moving the bars. That's what is happening when you are cornering, hit a grooved road, pass over road humps/dips.

Repeat the exercise after fitting the fork brace and note the reduction in flex. On the road the difference in feel should be immediately noticeable, and significant.
Yes Freddy I've done this test last year and noticed quite some flex which is why I ordered the brace. I will follow you're exact advise making sure I'm not introducing any twist and will first do the exercise before installing the brace and do the same test afterwards, will try to record it on video if I can manage to do that. Will try to do the same with the stiction test before and after just in case...
Richard

Post by Richard »

Just to let you know why it has been so quiet from my side the last half year or so.

It happens that I went through a divorce, even at age 64 that happens. So I did have to spend a lot of my time on the divorce and I still am. As it currently stands I will not have enough net income left to spend on e.g. renting my garage so it's going away. With that there's no place where I can live out my hobby. There's no place at home (if I can stay there which is at the moment absolutely not sure). So the future of my Zephyr is uncertain. I might be forced to sell it in the nearby future but am trying to keep it as long as I can...

The bike itself is just fine, it survived the winter and I took it for a spin earlier this year without any issues. Sure it needs a professional paint job but that's for another person I guess. Planning to do a weeks ride through Germany later this year with my son but after that I think the curtain will fall...

Sorry but sometimes live has unexpected surprises and we have to cope with them...
Last edited by Richard on 26 Jun 2023, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
ZoneAdmin
Site Admin

Post by ZoneAdmin »

Hi Richard

Sorry to hear about your divorce. Sometimes you do not know what is around the corner, even at our age (I am also 64).

I hope things work out well for you.
Regards
Dennis

Current bikes: Zephyr 750 C4, Zephyr 750 C3
-------------------------------------------------------
Previous bikes: Kawasaki Z1000 A2, Kawasaki KH400 A4, Kawasaki KH250 B1