Help with start up after removing carbs

Issues with balancing, jets, filters, etc
Fishrider

Re: Help with start up after removing carbs

Post by Fishrider »

It runs! I even took it around the block a few times and got it into 4th gear. Here is what I think may have been happening. Since, I was able to get it going with the spray method I figured either: 1) there wasn't enough fuel in the bowls due to floats being set wrong or 2) fuel was not getting to the bowls from the fuel line. I did a little more investigating with the hoses. I again manually created a vacuum for the petcock and voila, It started. I noticed the vacuum tube from the petcock fit a bit too loose on the carb port. Plus, It did not have clamp. I assumed the hose was tight enough, apparently not. I placed a new clamp on the line. I think I was just running out of fuel because there was no vacuum to the petcock. Again, dumb and simple.

Personally, I think I had three issues that needed solving.

1) Even though the fuel filter didn't seem clogged, I believe it was. Once I blew it out, fuel flowed better.
2) The idle screw was set way too far in.
3) There was not enough vacuum to the petcock for fuel to flow into the bowls.

Yes, I could still check float levels and such, but if its running, I don't dare touch it. LOL.

The thing that was bothering me about this whole issue was that the mechanics seemed to think there was build up somewhere in the carbs due to bad fuel. I think they were being lazy because they couldn't solve the fuel issue either, but it through me off because the carbs were so damn clean. I had completely rebuilt the carbs, checked floats, replaced float needles, replaced all gaskets and o-rings, and replaced all the jets before giving it to the mechanics. The carbs are in like new condition. So, I could not understand how there could be an internal issue with the carbs. As it turns out, there was no problems with the carbs. They just needed fuel. Now, to properly sync and tune them.
hugojose wrote:Your petcock has to have Prime. Otherwise is not stock. Any vacuum petcok has to have means to bypass the vacuum. If you don't have it. GET ONE ..if you are planning keeping this bike and given it proper maintenance.

This is very basic. Without it makes carb troubleshooting/maintenance/cold starting extremely difficult. I also run a clear in-line filter between the petcock and carbs. When is very cold, I always get the petcock in Prime to replenish the gas may have evaporated in the bowls. I can see through the clear filter fuel flowing. I can also see it stopping when reaches level, indicating the float and needles valves are doing their job.

I would check you bowl fuel levels, but the petcock needs to be in Prime setting. It does not take much, a clear 4 mm or 1/8" clear tube from any hardware store. Connect it to the drain, and hold it against the carb body, you can use tape. Put the petcock in Prime, open the drain plug,....you may have to wiggle and tap the tube to get rid of air, ...but eventually it would show on the tube what you level is. This would show for sure you are getting fuel in the bowls, at the proper levels, and even and all four.

....if this all right, then move on to something else like jets, spark, or air. If is not right then you will have to adjust float level. Get a proper petcock if it doesn't have Prime. it will pay for itself if you keep the bike.
Good advice. I believe this petcock was purchased through another mechanic that had worked on the tank before I new about the broken clutch spline that prompted this whole project in the first place. I'll get a new one. Easy fix.
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Well done getting it sorted. Must have been beyond frustrating.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Nice that you finally did find the cause of the issue, well done!