Carb problem

Issues with balancing, jets, filters, etc
Greenzephyr

Carb problem

Post by Greenzephyr »

My 1995 1100 has been off the road since 2013 knackered tank rusted all along both sided along the seams, anyway I got another one. Last had it running in March 2019 https://photos.app.goo.gl/ssQC9jFv4HBtLSrz6

In this time ive had the carbs out 3 times first time because the bike actually broke down all the rust in them (Old Tank) then I foolishy left it over winter and all the jets the needle eaten away my E5 fuel so I stripped them comepletaly cleaned everthing in my Ulrasonic cleaner fitted all new parts then they have been indoors for a couple of years, I have now fitted new Diaphragms as the old ones had pin holes and where is little stiff. Put them back on, not connected to the air box though filled the carbs and tried to start it,it ran for a little while on choke but stopped then over the next 15 minutes all it was doing was the ocasional fire. Have I missed something?
hugojose

Re: Carb problem

Post by hugojose »

At least throw a towel on carbs air intake.
Richard

Post by Richard »

fresh fuel used?
Greenzephyr

Post by Greenzephyr »

Yes clean fuel.

The video of it running had the airbox off.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I would first investigate if this is fuel related or electrical.

You replaced much within those carbs so can be anything in there. Does (fresh) fuel reach all carbs? There's a drain screw in the carb bowls, put the petcock on prime and loosen each of these screws one by one (and close it afterwards), fuel would now need to start running freely when you loosen this screw, do this with all four carbs. If you get fuel then at least you know the petrol circuit up and into the carb bowls is correct, if not you need to drill further.

Next try to start the bike (carbs primed) and check the spark plugs, are they wet or not? If wet at least fuel mixture is reaching the cylinders, if dry you might need to set the correct float hight within the carb bowls. If terribly wet it might be that the fuel entering the carb bowls is not shut properly by the float valve causing a far too rich fuel mixture (engine drowning?). Engine will probably start for a short while in this case. While you check those spark plugs check if they produce a good spark, if not you might have an electrical issue.

Anyway, this is how I would approach this...