What have you done today, Zephyr-wise?

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
andye

Re: What have you done today, Zephyr-wise?

Post by andye »

Some idiot, had fitted the spring & seal in the Master cylinder upside down. :oops: So Rear Brake Caliper & Master cylinder rebuilt. Swing arm, Foot rest Holders & Rear Caliper painted. Brakes bled just need to reconnect the Brake light & adjust the chain.
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

I’ve got over one hundo on the year already.
Attachments
F69CC827-AA23-4331-BDD2-5E90254E8F25.jpeg
A breeze from the west.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I was cleaning up the back garden 2 weeks ago where my kawa is stored under a shed roof behind the house and thought why not see if it will start since I parked it last year october with a full tank of fuel (to prevent water in the tank). And it took only little effort to start it and just a few minutes to make it run regular with good throttle response. I can't wait for 20 degrees or more celsius. Definitly want to make at least 1000km this year....

https://youtu.be/JFS-puW0R1w

[youtube]https://youtu.be/JFS-puW0R1w[/youtube]
It seems youtube enclosures are not working again...
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Speaking of 'mileages', the 750 odometer just rolled over the maximum 99,999 kilometers back to zero..... for the second time. The bike had some 30K kilometers when I bought it so that means I've racked up over 170,000 kilometers on it. Still goes great.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Incredible the amount of miles you make Freddy :o
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Richard wrote:Incredible the amount of miles you make Freddy :o
Just got to live some place where you can ride all year round, and there are a number of active open to anyone riding groups. I can go on some 300 kilometer or so ride just about any weekend, weekdays for that matter also. Also several day trips regularly. Not hard to find a group with friendly people who ride at a pace I like. Just stay away from the 'dick' groups which are easy to identify.

The 750 is virtually indestructible if good maintenance is kept up to it. We don't need to salt roads in Australia so I suppose that is one difference.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Just gave the old girl a major service, and rebuilt the front suspension. Valves clearances, sync carbies, oil change, new spark plugs, replace air cleaner element, and all the other routine tasks like grease the swing arm, adjust chain slack, adjust steering head bearings etc.

Had a set of new front fork tubes sitting on the shelf, so decided to buy some new bushes and seals and fit them. Definitely tightened up the front end in the corners. The insides of conventional fork tubes wear quite baldy where the lower bush rubs. Jack up the front and grabbing the bottoms of the forks check for back to front 'play'. At first you may think its the steering head bearings (could be some) but most will be the slop inside the tubes due to wear. Bike is never going to feel solid in the corners with that slop inside the tubes.
ZoneAdmin
Site Admin

Post by ZoneAdmin »

You have been busy Freddy :) . It is always nice to fit new genuine parts, if you can get them. Not spent any time on my bikes recently, I am currently fitting a new kitchen :cry:
Regards
Dennis

Current bikes: Zephyr 750 C4, Zephyr 750 C3
-------------------------------------------------------
Previous bikes: Kawasaki Z1000 A2, Kawasaki KH400 A4, Kawasaki KH250 B1
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

ZoneAdmin wrote:You have been busy Freddy :) . It is always nice to fit new genuine parts, if you can get them.
So far never not been able to get new bits I've needed.

Went for a long country back roads ride today with a group of about dozen riders, bike handled really well with the rebuilt front suspension.

Next job is to rebuild the front calipers. I just polish up the pistons, fit new seal, lube everything with rubber friendly synthetic grease. Find it makes a big difference when they are routinely rebuilt, not being the most powerful but pretty good if they are kept in tip top condition. The corrosion that builds up on the pistons suck braking effort as well as result on greater lever travel. The grip of the piston in the dust seals makes them act like return springs pulling the pads away from the disks. That's what makes the extra level travel (which it is starting to get now).
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Removed and rebuilt the front calipers this afternoon. Dismantled them, cleaned everything, polished the pistons, fitted new seals, lubed everything with rubber safe synthetic grease, reassembled, and refitted. Bleed the front brakes.

Reckon it took about 1 hour in total. Straightforward job.