Old Newbie

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Philbo

Old Newbie

Post by Philbo »

I often checked the old forum for advice and information so it's good to see the new forum. I've recently had some work done on my Zephyr. I've had it 10 years and love how it rides but just wanted to update it and tidy it up. After riding a z800 round the alps a couple of years ago, I know I didn't want to replace the zephyr.
So, without either the or the necessary tech knowledge, I looked for a local(ish) builder who could do the work. Redmax near Honiton came up trumps. dropped it to them in November and as I went away for the winter, they got to work. After nailing myself and being unable to ride for a while, I asked them to take their time and got it back last month. Now I can ride it again, it's great.
I'm sure there'll be people on here that don't like the changes but it's all about personal preference and it's still a Zephyr underneath after all. Just one mod left and that's replacing thereat shocks to lift the back end slightly. I know I can rotate the chain adjusters but I'd rather actually do it with the suspension.

Before
Before pic
Before pic
After
After from side
After from side
After from rear
After from rear
Zaddict

Re: Old Newbie

Post by Zaddict »

Looks good! Did they do any engine work as well?
1990 Zephyr 550 B1 (Phoebe)
Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
zx550 cams
Progressive fork springs with adjustable preloaders
Nitron stealth rear shocks
58 rwhp (stock is ~46)
Philbo

Re: Old Newbie

Post by Philbo »

Only cosmetic so far. Will be putting on a pair of shocks from a ZRX to lift the tail slightly. To be fair it goes pretty well and now sounds really good.