What have you done today, Zephyr-wise?

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Shedman

Re: What have you done today, Zephyr-wise?

Post by Shedman »

Freddy wrote:
Shedman wrote:Just a thought! has anyone ever put brake pads in an ultrasonic cleaner? I haven't got any brake fluid on them or any other crap, they look fairly new but dirty.
Why bother? Just give them a wipe clean, no one will ever see them.

Tip: Use quality rubber safe silicon grease to lube the pistons and seals when assembling. Brake fluid for assembly, being water soluble, will be completely washed away in the first time the road is wet.
Mainly out of curiosity and partly because what's the harm in getting them as clean as possible, there is a lot of road filth and old baked on crap on them. I'll put the pads in with the clean solution on their own first so that there is no brake fluid from the calipers to contaminate things. Might as well give it a blast and see what occurs.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

I'm quite pleased with how the brake pads came out of the ultrasonic cleaner, the calipers too.
brake pads 001.JPG
brake pads 004.JPG
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

They were ready for a repaint and I was surprised how much of the old paint came off in the cleaner.
brake pads 006.JPG
brake pads 007.JPG
jrkk

Post by jrkk »

Nice. What's your plan for painting? Powder?
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

jrkk wrote:Nice. What's your plan for painting? Powder?
No, I can get powder coating done for free at my brothers place but he only has basic colours so I was going to get something of ebay as close to the original that I could find.
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Looks great Shedman, I did think why bother cleaning the pads as they are cheap and is it worth it but hey they've come out as new :shock:
Swamps :)
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

Swampy wrote:Looks great Shedman, I did think why bother cleaning the pads as they are cheap and is it worth it but hey they've come out as new :shock:
I had to get the u/s cleaner out to do the calipers so I thought I'd see what it'd do to the pads, like you say, pads are cheap enough so if the cleaner destroyed them.......! I've got some old drum brake liners that got covered in oil a couple of years ago so I might give them a dunk just to see what happens, if they clean up then fine, if not they were destined for the dump anyway. If anyone is interested I use Carbusonic Engine Parts & Aluminium cleaning fluid at a mix of 10-1.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

I MOT'd my Zephyr today as well as my Nighthawk, I rang first to see if he was open then I booked the Zephyr in, when I got there I could see that it was quiet so I asked him if he could fit another one in, bloody brilliant! I'd normally have to wait 3-4 days for a slot.
babies 005.JPG
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Well-done Shedman, I assumed they both passed ok, Zephyr is looking good :)
Swamps :)
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

Swampy wrote:Well-done Shedman, I assumed they both passed ok, Zephyr is looking good :)
Cheers Swamps, the Zephyr headlamp aim was a bit low, the headlamp was from a Zephyr 550. He advised a new rear brake disc before the next MOT but that is already on my to do list as I've gone through the front brakes. All of the replacement electrics work fine, in fact the bike has never started so well, first touch of the button where before if I didn't start it every day it would crank over for ages before it would fire. I can't for the life of me work out why a previous owner thought it was a good idea to swap all the electrics (including switchgear + headlamp) with that from a US/Canadian bike.
BTW, if anyone needs the carb heater relay and the other relay that is left over from this harness then its yours for the cost of the P+P, you can even have the wires that connect them :lol: