What have you done today, Zephyr-wise?

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Ivor

Re: What have you done today, Zephyr-wise?

Post by Ivor »

Put new swing arm bearings in and re-fitted it and the back wheel..
1995 ZR1100A2
dcf750

Post by dcf750 »

Today... I bought a 750 C4 from Andy (750four) to add to my 750 C3. Happy days. The second thing I did when I got home was to remove the rear rack...
Attachments
ED41B4F3-4299-4256-945D-5637C002D47D.jpeg
Den

Zephyr 750 C4
Zephyr 750 C3
————————-
Z1000-A2 1979
KH400-A4 1977
KH250-B1 1976
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Stripped the paint off and refurb'ed the back break, new seals and pads and goodridge hose. Put it back on bike then gave up trying to bleed it after a couple of hours... had a beer :)
Attachments
20190707_192334.jpg
1995 ZR1100A2
jrkk

Post by jrkk »

Beer is always good. Let's take another.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Started a simple oil change. Sump has previously had a stripped drain plug thread repaired with a time sert thread insert. Instead of the sump plug unscrewing when I went to remove it, the plug had locked onto the time sert and it wound out.

After initially thinking to fix in with the sump on, decided to pull it off and do it correctly. So off with the exhaust, oil lines, sump. Clean everything up, Locktite 263 the time cert back in place, reassemble. Fortunately had the sump gasket, o-rings, and exhaust gaskets sitting on the garage shelf.

Just got to wait 24 hours for the Locktite to fully cure then its stick in the sump plug, oil, and hopefully happy days.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Rear brake pads were getting down, so fitted new pads.

With every pad change I've also found it beneficial to recondition the calipers, so that was done. The reason is corroded pistons and dry sticky dust seals give rise to extra pedal/lever travel (they act like return springs on the pistons). However this time I found since using Super Lube synthetic silicone grease for assembly the pistons were completely corrosion free and as clean as the day they were fitted.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

good tip with the superlube synthetic silicone grease , will be using that also . After way too many hours up and downing with the rear brake pedal and bleed nipple spanner trying to bleed the rear brakes, I decided to take the master cylinder apart, the internal piston had jammed in the up position so was never going to pump any fresh brake fluid through :evil: :evil: refurb kit on the way , fingers crossed it'll all work propper soon
1995 ZR1100A2
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

After not using my Zephyr for around a year because of fixing up the new house, I decided it was time to get the bike back on the road. I struggled to get her fired up, see my other post in Electrical about plugs and plug caps, took her for a very brief test ride and noticed the front brake was extremely not very good, took the top off the reservoir and the brake fluid was all but gone. I found the fluid on the garage floor but hadn't spotted it due to previous oil stains.
I ran my fingers under the calipers and found a dribble, time for some surgery so I drained the remains of the fluid out and removed the calipers but I can't figure out how to get the pads out, any suggestions would be most welcome.
Anyway, because the bike hasn't really been run much over the last year I had decided to start her up each day just to keep putting a bit of charge in the battery and keep the the oil circulating, before I started her up after her long lay up I removed the plugs and put a couple of squirts of oil in each cylinder and left it to soak through for a couple of days before turning her over.
So yesterday I went to start her up, I've got a habit of putting the steering lock on even when the bike is in the garage, you can never be too careful........right? The bloody key won't turn in the lock, no amount of wiggling, tapping, twisting or cursing will get the sodding key to turn, squirts of WD40 into the lock didn't do anything either.
So I was stuck with a bike parked right next to the wall with the steering lock on and because the garage was full of other crap, very little room to work on it!
I shuffled the bike away from the wall as much as possible and set to with the spanners, the headlamp, clocks, bars and top yoke had to come off to get the switch off. It was then that I noticed to PO had been at the switch in the past, the outer plastic cover had been cut down for some totally unknown reason and stuck on with a blob of Blu-Tac!
So the switch is dead, nothing I can do will get the key to turn, checked out the dealers and none available, checked out ebay and found lots of Chinese???? replacements at varying prices but didn't really fancy that route, then found an incomplete NOS genuine switch for a bargain price, way cheaper than the Chinese???? replacements, it is still in the box but the plastic bottom cover is missing, I'll just use the one off the old switch.
Just waiting for it to come now!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

result on finding a new ignition switch :D think i'll squirt some wd40 in mine before she seizes up aswell
1995 ZR1100A2
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

Ivor wrote:result on finding a new ignition switch :D think i'll squirt some wd40 in mine before she seizes up aswell
Thanks Ivor, it wasn't really a case of seizing up, more like something has broken inside, I flooded my switch with WD40 and left it overnight but it still wouldn't turn. The switch always felt a bit worn and on reflection I should have done something about it sooner but something more pressing always seems to come up. At least I can move the bike into my nice warm shed now so that's good. The wife said that it was a good thing that it happened at home rather than 50 miles away.