Tokico/Kawasaki stock brake pads

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Zaddict

Tokico/Kawasaki stock brake pads

Post by Zaddict »

I'm refurbishing a set of Tokico calipers that I bought off ebay for my 550. They came with what look like very nice, OEM pads, with a lot of meat left on them (~4mm of material). They are stamped "TOKICO" with a Kawasaki "K", so I'm assuming they were stock issue, maybe even original. Does anyone know anything about how well these pads perform? Seems like most stock Kawasaki parts are high quality so I'll likely use them unless I hear anything negative.
1990 Zephyr 550 B1 (Phoebe)
Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
zx550 cams
Progressive fork springs with adjustable preloaders
Nitron stealth rear shocks
58 rwhp (stock is ~46)
Freddy

Re: Tokico/Kawasaki stock brake pads

Post by Freddy »

The genuine Kawasaki OEM front pads for my D1 750 are stamped on the back .....TOKICO TOYO C93F HH

So yes, I'd say it reasonable to assume the pads you have are genuine Kawasaki OEM pads.

I think the OEM pads for the 750 are brilliant. Pulls up quick, and I've still got the original rotors on the bike after 160,000 hard kilometers.
gazzz

Post by gazzz »

I agree with Freddy, the OEM pads give the best combination of braking performance and brake components service life.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

gazzz wrote:I agree with Freddy, the OEM pads give the best combination of braking performance and brake components service life.
Just a follow on from this point. If someone has genuine rotors and genuine pads in a 750 (can't speak for other models) and thinks the front brakes are inadequate, its because the the calipers need overhauling. The difference in braking power and feel between overhauled and appropriately lubricated calipers and old calipers with dry sticky dust seal half hanging out dragging on corroded pistons ...... well its night and day.

Don't just lubricate pistons and seals with brake fluid when installing them. Brake fluid is water soluble and will completely wash away in the first drizzle you ride in. Always use an appropriate rubber safe silicone grease. If in doubt buy some of the small packets of silicone grease sold by Brembo.

This is the stuff I use .....

gazzz

Post by gazzz »

I wasn't impressed by work of front brakes on my Zephyr 750 C1 even after overhaul and with braided brake lines. So I replaced master cylinder and front calipers by fresh components from ER6 and that made difference. ER6 calipers are the same as on D-versions of Zephyr but I think its master cylinder is a bit better, cause it has additional joint that distribute the moment from the lever along the piston axle. In addition it better fit Zephyr strait bar than original master cylinder that obviously was designed to be used with clip-ons.
TREVOR9

Post by TREVOR9 »

On you conversion to er6 parts did you need the clutch cable as well?