Motorcycle Ergo Simulator

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
ZR468

Motorcycle Ergo Simulator

Post by ZR468 »

It is cold outside. I found this site years ago to figure out the effect of adding bar risers and lowering seats and pegs. http://cycle-ergo.com/
I am contemplating again in changing the handle bar position on my ZR750C2. I already added a 2/3" rise, now I am thinking adding a 2/3" pull back. It can be done, but I thinking I will have to reroute some cables. I am hoping for less forward lean to ease my back on long rides.
If I did go for the additional pull back, what will that do to the handling of the bike? Anyone knows?
Kenny
Attachments
image.png
image.png
Freddy

Re: Motorcycle Ergo Simulator

Post by Freddy »

A slight digression, have you considered it might be the hard seat rather than the riding position that is causing the back pain?

On my XT250 that I bought for a commuter the forward lean angle is 0 degress (using Motorcycle Ergo). But I still got terrible lower back pain from the rock hard plank seat. So bad I was thinking of selling the bike. Put on a fitted sheep skin cover and have never given it a second thought since.

Same deal with the Zephyr 750 seat. I reckon the stock seat is excessively hard (maybe the foam has hardened up with age). Used to get really sore knees and shoulders. When I got the seat restyled they used about a 1 inch layer of soft foam on top to achieve the quilted look. Now the seat is very comfortable, and zero knee and shoulder pain.

My theory is when the seat is hard we tense up, its this tension that caused the pain in our back, shoulders etc.

Anyhow, just a thought.

P.S. I aslo find the Zephyr with a very slight forward lean (7 degrees) more comfortable for my back than the XT250 (0 degrees). Sitting bold upright all the weight goes on my lower back, and so I tend to slouch forward a little anyhow.
ZR468

Re: Motorcycle Ergo Simulator

Post by ZR468 »

Freddy, my experience with hard seat is actually quite different than yours. On my Honda ST1300 , I had a Sergeant Seat. It was as hard as a plank of wood, yet I could ride on it for 8 hours without butt pain etc. I eventually went back to a shaved down stock seat to reduce the overall ride height- short legs.
According to the simulator, the lean angle on the stock set up of a ZR750 is 10 degree for my size. The simulated set up with 3/4" up and 3/4" pull back will give me a 7 degree forward lean. I rode my ST1300 with a stock lean of 12 degrees for years. As I aged, I added bar riser, then pull back risers, now I am at a 5 degree forward lean on the ST. That is very comfortable for me, no back pain , no wrist pain, no butt pain even after riding all day.
I am actually quite comfortable on the Zephyr. Only complaint is a little tension on the wrist and back in long ride. It is not a big deal. The worst annoyance is the bunching up of underwear. Not sure what the fix is for that.
Anyways, I think my current sweet spot for forward lean angle is 5 to 7 degrees. I sat on a Trimuph Street Scrambler at the Bike Show, it fit me like a glove.
Kenny