New Admin needed for the Zephyr Zone

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.

New Admin needed for the Zephyr Zone

Postby ZoneAdmin » 19 May 2018, 12:23

Hello Zoners,

I'm looking for someone to take over running the Zephyr Zone.

I'm no longer a Zephyr owner, and (other than keeping up with new registrations) haven't got the spare time to develop the forum. I've done it for over 7 years now, so it's definitely someone else's turn.
I was planning to stand down last year, then the old forum failed. I didn't think it was fair to hand over just a domain name and say "good luck", so I built the new forum and carried on to make sure it was working ok.

I've just paid the domain registration for another year. There was enough donation money left from the old forum to pay for this renewal, which is why I haven't set up a donation option on the new forum yet. There's about a fiver left in the kitty. I can pass this on to the new Admin to start the donations off again, or put it in a charity bucket - your choice.

The new forum runs on phpBB forum software. It is currently hosted by Ultimate Web Hosting. I picked them as they were the only company that would put up with the dodgy software on which the old forum ran - until it got too much even for them, hence the new forum. They are also quite cheap - £30 per year, which includes domain name and email.

I'm not in a desperate rush to ditch this, but would like it to be in someone else's hands by the end of summer.

Happy to answer questions about what's involved, but ideally the new Admin should already be familiar with phpBB (or similar) forum software.

Regards
Steve
ZoneAdmin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 09 Aug 2017, 14:52

Re: New Admin needed for the Zephyr Zone

Postby Swampy » 19 May 2018, 15:06

Steve, may I say that I for one will be sad to see you go, but can fully understand you wanting to hang up the Zone after all these years....
I would just like to say thanks very much for all of you help in the years gone by and for setting up the new Zone even after knowing that you were retiring :(
I would offer to take over take over the running but I have no knowledge, so I will leave it to someone with the expertise... :D
Wishing you all the best Swamps :)
Swamps :)
Swampy
 
Posts: 142
Joined: 04 Sep 2017, 19:01

Re: New Admin needed for the Zephyr Zone

Postby Shedman » 20 May 2018, 07:43

Swampy wrote:Steve, may I say that I for one will be sad to see you go, but can fully understand you wanting to hang up the Zone after all these years....
I would just like to say thanks very much for all of you help in the years gone by and for setting up the new Zone even after knowing that you were retiring :(
I would offer to take over take over the running but I have no knowledge, so I will leave it to someone with the expertise... :D
Wishing you all the best Swamps :)


^What Swampy said^, I don't know anything about anything to do with computers other than how to switch this ancient laptop on and off. All the best mate and thanks.
Shedman
 
Posts: 76
Joined: 06 Dec 2017, 08:31
Location: Derby UK

Re: New Admin needed for the Zephyr Zone

Postby ZoneAdmin » 21 May 2018, 09:18

Thanks for the responses. It's been a pleasure to look after the Zone, and have always felt appreciated for the work I've done.

Last year when I had to restart the Zone, I was expecting some level of hassle about why I just couldn't fix the old one. Instead all I got from everyone was "that sucks, but we understand. Thanks for sorting a new Zone out and we'll just have to rebuilt it ourselves".

To paraphrase (and steal from) an old Honda advert: You meet the nicest people on a Zephyr :)
ZoneAdmin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 09 Aug 2017, 14:52

Re: New Admin needed for the Zephyr Zone

Postby Richard » 22 May 2018, 09:11

Hi Steve,

I guess I would be a perfect fit being the owner from another phpBB forum as well but maybe it's better if someone from the UK takes over as most members are from the UK? Let's see if someone else will volunteer, if this takes to long I can still take over...
User avatar
Richard
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 24 Aug 2017, 15:35
Location: Zeewolde NL

Re: New Admin needed for the Zephyr Zone

Postby ZoneAdmin » 22 May 2018, 18:50

Thanks RIchard - that's one hat in the ring.
ZoneAdmin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 09 Aug 2017, 14:52

Re: New Admin needed for the Zephyr Zone

Postby Richard » 01 Jun 2018, 21:06

Anyone else? I can only do this parttime, maybe we can spread the load between two admins?
User avatar
Richard
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 24 Aug 2017, 15:35
Location: Zeewolde NL

Re: New Admin needed for the Zephyr Zone

Postby Freddy » 02 Jun 2018, 10:07

Richard wrote:Anyone else? I can only do this parttime, maybe we can spread the load between two admins?


Hi Richard,
I'd offer to help, but (a) I have no idea whatsoever regarding the software etc, and more importantly (b) having just bought a caravan to travel around Australia expect to be 'off grid' for large periods of time exploring the countries VERY remote areas. No internet access where I'm planning on going.

I try to support the Zone by posting as much as possible, even just for the sake of it sometimes.

Freddy.
Freddy
 
Posts: 341
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 12:06
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: New Admin needed for the Zephyr Zone

Postby andye » 03 Jun 2018, 19:47

Hi Richard

I would be willing to help. Although I don't know anything about forum software, I am reasonably computer literate & willing to learn.

Regards

Andy
andye
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 11 Sep 2017, 11:03
Location: Merseyside

Re: New Admin needed for the Zephyr Zone

Postby Richard » 05 Jun 2018, 13:37

Freddy wrote:
Richard wrote:Anyone else? I can only do this parttime, maybe we can spread the load between two admins?


Hi Richard,
I'd offer to help, but (a) I have no idea whatsoever regarding the software etc, and more importantly (b) having just bought a caravan to travel around Australia expect to be 'off grid' for large periods of time exploring the countries VERY remote areas. No internet access where I'm planning on going.

I try to support the Zone by posting as much as possible, even just for the sake of it sometimes.

Freddy.


Thanks Freddy and I completely understand. Your Zone support is highly appreciated, I always love to read your reports :!:
User avatar
Richard
 
Posts: 214
Joined: 24 Aug 2017, 15:35
Location: Zeewolde NL

Next

Return to The Zephyr Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests