Recommend a Handlebar?

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Stereordinary

Recommend a Handlebar?

Post by Stereordinary »

My bike came to me fitted with some nearly straight drag style bars. It’s really dumb because without the slight rise of the stock bars, the front brake actually hits the top triple tree and doesn’t allow it to rotate down appropriately. It sits too flat, and is uneven with the clutch lever.

So I got my hands on a set of stock handlebars, brand new, wasn’t cheap. The rise is wonderfully low, but holy heck there’s a lot of sweep back. I can see how it’s meant to make it a more upright, relaxed riding position, but my wrists cramp at that sort of angle.

Can anyone recommend some handlebars that are nearly identical to stock, but with less sweep back? I’ve already looked at aftermarket stuff, especially the Biltwell and Renthal options, but neither have anything close enough. I’m thinking it’s gonna have to be bars from another bike.

Thanks for the help.
A breeze from the west.
Freddy

Re: Recommend a Handlebar?

Post by Freddy »

You don't say what model Zephyr. I was so surprised you found a set of OEM bars had excessive sweep-back at the grips I just went and sat on my 750, elbows at my sides, forearms straight out with fists clenched. The natural angle my clenched fist makes is virtually identical to the sweep back angle of the bars.

Now it might be different if you have a model other than a 750, or are you sure the set of bars you bought are really genuine ones. A dead givaway on a set of 750 bars would be the little dot near the knurling for positioning them correctly. I doubt any non genuine bars would have that dot.
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Ah! It’s not like me to forget to mention which model bike it is, but sure enough, I did. It’s a 550.

They’re definitely the real deal Kwak bars, and yes, they have the little punch. Since you have 750 bars, can you measure the sweep back and let me know what it is? Curious if it’s the same as these 550 bars.
A breeze from the west.
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Went ahead and installed the OEM bars and so far I’m actually pretty pleased. Haven’t actually taken it for a ride yet, just finished the install a little while ago, and I got parenting duties to do. But sitting on the bike, it feels good, I don’t actually notice the sweep back as much as I thought I would. Here’s some before and after photos.
Attachments
71AD36E3-322F-4FB7-B9BF-2E3160AF85A8.jpeg
5B0B30DB-B046-44B0-92C9-5C4D4DBBDEAA.jpeg
A breeze from the west.
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

I’ll add the bar end mirrors back on after I get the right screws for them.
A breeze from the west.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Looks much better mate
1995 ZR1100A2
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Thanks! After riding it for a while now, I’m definitely happy with them.
A breeze from the west.