Hi all from Cheshire England

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Spannerman

Hi all from Cheshire England

Post by Spannerman »

Hi everyone thought I would say hello ,I have 1991 750 ,bought it as a project however its been sat in the garage for a year . I've just moved house and have a lot more space so I'm starting to think about the strip and rebuild .
David Richard

Re: Hi all from Cheshire England

Post by David Richard »

hi spanerman ,your welcome to the zone im sure you will have any problems that arise posted here already ,its good to save another one they are a rewarding bike to use when you start it some photos will good to follow in the long winter nights ,i hope you have a good heater to use ,do you have any other bikes parked up ,im at the other end of the uk near portsmouth ,cheers david
ZoneAdmin
Site Admin

Post by ZoneAdmin »

Welcome Spannerman,

Good luck with the strip & rebuild when you get started.
Regards
Dennis

Current bikes: Zephyr 750 C4, Zephyr 750 C3
-------------------------------------------------------
Previous bikes: Kawasaki Z1000 A2, Kawasaki KH400 A4, Kawasaki KH250 B1
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Welcome, and good luck!
A breeze from the west.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Hi Spannerman,
Welcome aboard.

A thoughts on your planned project. It's really a thought for anyone and a post just for the sake of it, so nothing specific to your circumstances, and I'm only putting it out to be helpful.

I've been on the Zone for a VERY long time (under a few different names) and seen a lot of projects involving a complete strip started, but I can probably count on my figures the number that appear to have been completed. So ..... give consideration to rather than a complete strip, do up the bike in logical small manageable 'chunks'. Aim to do bits that allow the bike to be quite quickly returned back into a 'rideable' condition to keep the bike a practical working ride so the enthusiasm is maintained and the joy of ride and ever improving bike keeps the motivation going. Obviously getting the bike just 'rideable' is the first step.

Bit like people who try and renovate a whole run down house by totally stripping it and then working a bit on every room. Twenty years latter most are still living in a construction site with not a single bit totally finished. Way better outcomes seem to be achieved by just doing rooms, one at a time, and not start the next room till the current one is totally finished. The pride of each finished room motivates the work on the next room. When the whole house is a construction site and nothing finished it can quickly become overwhelming and motivation flags.

Anyhow, just sharing a thought.

Regards,
Freddy.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

Hi Spannerman and welcome aboard, I'm in Derby. Excellent point Freddy, that is why Fleabay is full of unfinished projects, they get taken apart then the owners seem to lose interest or find some problem that they think will cost too much to fix. The thing I don't understand is when some people decide to renovate an old bike they strip it right down to its component atoms, I literally mean they take every single little tiny part to pieces then chuck them all in a few cardboard boxes. I guess they just like doing really hard jigsaw puzzles :? I've seen a few of these types of projects recently on ebay and they still seem to fetch a ridiculous amount of money, not something that I'd be interested in even though I'm rather partial to a project but I will only ever buy a complete bike and take it apart myself.
But the thing with houses, I'm totally guilty on that one because I had to get the place ready to move into and every room had to be gutted, rewired and central heating installed. The amount of dust flying around didn't warrant finishing one room at a time as the final decoration would have been ruined. We are talking ceilings coming down (falling down), walls being removed, rotten floor joists being replaced etc... But in my defence, I am a bricklayer that does plastering and joinery to a good standard :lol:
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Shedman wrote:But the thing with houses, I'm totally guilty on that one because I had to get the place ready to move into and every room had to be gutted, rewired and central heating installed. The amount of dust flying around didn't warrant finishing one room at a time as the final decoration would have been ruined. We are talking ceilings coming down (falling down), walls being removed, rotten floor joists being replaced etc... But in my defence, I am a bricklayer that does plastering and joinery to a good standard :lol:
I also own an old house. My experience is they are NEVER finished. They own you, you don't own them.
andye

Post by andye »

Hi Spannerman. Welcome, good luck with getting it running.