Ht Ignition question

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Leon2021

Ht Ignition question

Post by Leon2021 »

Recently bought a Zephyr 550 1991 ,with 22000 miles
Only covered 200 miles in the last 5 years
Been having problems with her not firing on all cylinders 1 and 4 ?
On Checking the ht leads at the coil , unscrewed the plastic collar and the ht lead fell out with a clean cut ?
On checking the other’s they are all the same, do they need coil terminals?
The leads plugs and caps look new.
Attachments
A10C158A-F4E3-4200-A76E-A0C1A889AD92.jpeg
Stereordinary

Re: Ht Ignition question

Post by Stereordinary »

Sorry I don’t have an answer to your question, but just wanna say nice bike! I have the same one in the same color. :)
A breeze from the west.
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

If the coils and wires are stock from factory.

The coils have pointed needles in the recesses (holes for the cables). Under the plastic nuts on the wires are plastic ferrules inside (compressing rings), which compresses and pushes the cable insulation against the coils needles when the nuts are tightened. Of course, you push the cable all the way in first.

.........When nuts and ferrules are removed, and cables pushed out, you should see a tiny hole in the cable core center made by the needles. The holes in the coils should be clean and you should see the needles in the bottom of holes. Either your cables are cut, or are missing the ferrules.

.....by the way, is same with the caps at the other end, except there is not nuts nor ferrules, ...you simply tighten the cable into the caps needles by twisting and pressing. The theory is; as you push and the needles bore into the core, insulation expands, creating some pressure against the cap. The thin boot is only to keep water out.
Leon2021

Post by Leon2021 »

Thanks Hugo,
I have now removed all the leads and cut 10mm off the ngk plug ends as they were also a bit loose.
The coil ends had no marks on them so i assume they weren’t pushed in hard enough when changed ,so
I put a small screw in the ends to make a indent and removed sed
Screw, replaced all leads and now the bike sounds fantastic.
Thanks again for the good advance
Leon :D
Attachments
CAB9D95B-CBF0-49BA-B7A6-7C88F7534055.jpeg