tank sealer lifting

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
dcf750

Re: tank sealer lifting

Post by dcf750 »

Old Kwack wrote:I recently purchased a 1990 Zephyr 550 and after getting it home and having the carbs leak, I realized the tank, which had been coated with an off-white sort of epoxy, was the cause. The coating was coming off in large flakes and small pieces with rust underneath the coating. I pulled out the large pieces I could reach and used acetone to melt the portions of the coating I couldn't get to. Acetone will damage the paint on the outside of the tank, but I was able to avoid any major problems by waxing the tank prior to using acetone and wiping any spills or dribbles immediately upon contact. There are several YouTube videos explaining the process more thoroughly than I can describe here, but I was able to successfully remove the old coating.
What is your plan with the tank now? Will you use a different type of sealer?
Den

Zephyr 750 C4
Zephyr 750 C3
————————-
Z1000-A2 1979
KH400-A4 1977
KH250-B1 1976
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi dcf ,yes i will wait and see what its like inside i hope its not rusty ,when i got my first c3 in the year 99 i had to buy a new tank as it leaked and that was only 7 years old but had been parked up with fuel in it so it could go either way ,thanks david
Old Kwack

Post by Old Kwack »

Thanks for the welcome, this is my first Zephyr. They are relatively rare in the United States, but I always liked the looks of them. I have not had a chance to really ride it, as it ran okay when I went to purchase it and on the way home in the back of my truck, it pissed gas everywhere. I'm hoping to have the carbs cleaned and rebuilt (by the local Kawasaki dealer) and have it ready by spring. I have a few other bikes, my main rider being a Kaw W650, my baby, the Yamaha SRX600 single, a 1975 Kawasaki 350 Bighorn and a 1979 Yamaha XS650SF project I am slowly rebuilding. I appreciate this forum being around for the information and support I may need.
Old Kwack

Post by Old Kwack »

Sorry, I forgot to add that I de-rusted the tank using oxalic acid and as it has no leaks, I am going to run it with no sealer. The oxalic acid (wood bleach) leaves a rust free surface that I coated with diesel fuel until I get ethanol free gas in it.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I bought a second hand tank for a chopper i'm building and inside the tank sealer is cracked and lifting , hardly anyone has a good word to say about the stuff , I would just use an in line fuel filter
1995 ZR1100A2