Inline fuel filter?

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Rob@TZP

Inline fuel filter?

Post by Rob@TZP »

Howdy gents/ladies,
Well, I've just cleaned out the tank again (I think this is going to be a semi regular thing) and I got to wondering - are the petcock filters enough or do you run an inline filter? I have been running an inline filter and it seems to do sfa as there was still plenty of very fine dust in the bowls. I'm having trouble installing a new filter that wont kink the line (old one was bent/cracked - had obviously been under 'bendy' stress) etc so do I really need it??
While I was there I cleaned out the petcock, and carbs, checked float valves and re-set the floats. It was worthwhile as I noticed 1&2 were wrong, and the breather was kinked. Might have been causing my hot start issues!
ZR468

Re: Inline fuel filter?

Post by ZR468 »

I posted about an inline filter a couple days ago. I don't think the fuel tap screen is fine eough to do a sufficient job. I don't have an in line filter and wondered how to install one. I found this filter on eBay, super small, may not kink the lines. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/371857712904. The site does not say how fine the filter is eg microns. But something is better than nothing.
The other option was a right angle filter. This one is on Amazon. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LWB ... UQNE319MPB
Which style of filter do you think would fit under the tank without kinking the fuel line?
Thank you in advance of your input.
Kenny
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

If I had an ongoing dirty tank issue (leaving aside rectifying that problem) causing me to possibly get stuck somewhere I'd be thinking about how I could install a good quality, visible, cleanable fuel filter, where I could see it and get easy road side access to it.

Having a quick look at my bike, that place would be behind the left hand side side cover. No tools needed to remove seat and then side cover and access the filter on the side of the road if needed. Easy to run some additional pipe to the filter and back from this location going over the air box top corner using a joiner to connect back to the existing hose.

The only consideration would be if the filter mounted a bit lower than the carbies created an initial air lock in the pipe, but don't think it would. I generally have heaps of plastic tube laying at floor level connecting the tank sitting on the bench to the fuel inlet when syncing the carbies. Occasionally I've had to loosen the connection into the fuel line to let the air out and get the fuel flowing.
Rob@TZP

Post by Rob@TZP »

Behind the cover is a good idea Freddy. But I'm judging by your remarks you don't run one?
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Rob@TZP wrote:Behind the cover is a good idea Freddy. But I'm judging by your remarks you don't run one?
No, my tank is very clean. I did have an inline filter fitted at at one stage, but removed it when the bike started to to unexpected cut out with a clear fuel starvation problem. Though it might have been the filter, but no, it was the vacuum operated tap closing up by itself when the fuel level in the tank got low. New tap assembly fixed that problem. Took a while to realist the conditions when it failed. Never did get back around to refitting it, and have never had a problem.
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Yes, hehind the cover, why didn't I think of that. I ordered an straight in line fuel filter, very small, less than an inch around and about 2" long. I'll check out behind the left cover when we return from vacation at the end of the month. No phone, no internet, no worries for 3 weeks!
Kenny