1100 strange engine noise

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Freddy

Re: 1100 strange engine noise

Post by Freddy »

zep93 wrote:welll.... before discovering the main reason.... now how can I say this politely.... first the workshop discovered that one exhaust valve is not closing correctly (compression was lower than others). So, they took the head off and sent it to the master who made the head as new again (honing, cutting the valve sockets etc).

Then, as the engine was already open (and in winter time you get all sort of interesting ideas:)), we decided to look inside the cylinders. It was a mistake. Because now we discovered, that the cylinders were a little too much oval. Only a little by factory manual. I have to admit that there was a little beer involved in the decision making on that dark evening...

So one month later, when the new pistons and honed cylinder was installed, the engine noise was exactly like it was before all these works...

Some beers later we looked inside the exhaust pipes. Master took his welding machine and made one spot welding. The noise disappeared...

And now I need a beer...
I'm with Richard on this one. Don't in any way see this exercise as money not well spent. As the bottom end will probably run forever, you now have an as new top end to match. Effectively near enough to a brand new complete engine. That's money well spent if you intend to keep the bike for some time.

Have you thought of splitting the cases and inspect the clutch and gearbox? Just joking.