Zephyr 400 engine swap

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
guru

Zephyr 400 engine swap

Post by guru »

Well, what is the best option?
Oil cooled gpz 550, water cooled gpx 600, any other ideas (I heard about a guy that fitted a bandit 600 engine :? :shock:)
Thanks a lot!
hugojose

Re: Zephyr 400 engine swap

Post by hugojose »

The 550 is not oil cooled. Just air cooled. Oil only cools the wet clutch.

Best option; most practical, quick, and least expensive way is always getting a complete bike. If you absolutelly have to do this, I'd rather consider the liquid cooled 600.
guru

Post by guru »

It is impossible, for many reasons, to get another bike..
Thanks for the information and the advice!
kinkyfreestyler

Post by kinkyfreestyler »

Hi the gpz/x 600 motor goes in pretty easy and is deffo worth it but you need the carbs pick ups (there are 2 on the 600) and the cdi which will go on to the zephyr loom just have to change a couple of wires .
the carbs will work with the zephyr airbox but will need a bit of fettling to get a smooth power delivery , but when its done its worth all the work.Mine was dyno'd AT 83BHP AT THE REAR WHEEL.
one of the best up grades you can do to your bike is to fit the kawasaki kr1 3 spoke wheels they weigh so little compered to standard that the bike stops goes and turn so much quicker.

Before the site went down I would have told you to go to my posts but I think they were lost to the great site crash of 2016,but if i can help please ask and I'll see what I can do
guru

Post by guru »

Kinkyfreestyler THANKS A LOT!
stevie g

Post by stevie g »

I bought my 400 with a GPZ 550 engine already fitted. Not sure what gpz model it is but anyway I got a set of zx600 carbs for it, a straight through homemade exhaust system and pod filters. I just happened to have a set of longer needles with different clip positions if needed that came out of zeph 750 carbs, (Maybe Factory Pro) what a huge difference compared to my standard zeph 550, night and day. The gpz engine is either a low miler or has been nicely rebuilt including a new primary chain cos it is really quiet on idle, compared to my zeph 750 at least. Plus I'm pretty sure it's quicker off the mark than the 750. I've taken my 550 off the road just now and probably gonna fit the gpz engine into it plus I got a turbo that's going onto it :D My 400 is gonna get the standard 400 engine put in, which I have but might put a set of 750 spoke wheels on it, which I bought a few years ago. That'll be me with all the zephs, The 400 took the longest to find, 4 odd years.