carburetors cleaning

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
willy

carburetors cleaning

Post by willy »

strip and separate the brass jets and diaphrams clean the remainder with a toothbrush place in a vessel submerge the carbs and other parts in water with a small amount of soap powder. fish tank air pump 4 air stones one in each carb switch on leave overnight, hope that helps
Freddy

Re: carburetors cleaning

Post by Freddy »

I've had situations where nothing other than physically scraping the scale out of the jets would work.

Worst case was a 2 stroke 3 cylinder Yamaha 70hp outboard. Because it sits for weeks unused between trips, fuel elaborates away, time after time leaving behind a reside that set like concrete in the jets. Hold the jets up to the light and they look clean, with a nice round hole. What you can't see is the rock hard scale that effectively reduces the jet a couple sizes. Like blocked arteries.

Compressor air wouldn't shift it. Carburetor cleaner same. Sonic cleaner same. The only thing that shifted it in that particular case was to physically scrape it out with a single the wire plucked from a workshop wire brush. From that painful lesson (testing the motor on a boat is a LOT more difficult than simply taking a bike for a run around the block) I always run a bit of suitable size nylon fishing line through the jets and then rotate them in a scarping motion and then check for signs of scale.
willy

Re: carburetors cleaning

Post by willy »

Freddy wrote:I've had situations where nothing other than physically scraping the scale out of the jets would work.

Worst case was a 2 stroke 3 cylinder Yamaha 70hp outboard. Because it sits for weeks unused between trips, fuel elaborates away, time after time leaving behind a reside that set like concrete in the jets. Hold the jets up to the light and they look clean, with a nice round hole. What you can't see is the rock hard scale that effectively reduces the jet a couple sizes. Like blocked arteries.

Compressor air wouldn't shift it. Carburetor cleaner same. Sonic cleaner same. The only thing that shifted it in that particular case was to physically scrape it out with a single the wire plucked from a workshop wire brush. From that painful lesson (testing the motor on a boat is a LOT more difficult than simply taking a bike for a run around the block) I always run a bit of suitable size nylon fishing line through the jets and then rotate them in a scarping motion and then check for signs of scale.
freddy.soap powder has caustic soda in it, it works well when hot, I use biological powder then blast with baking soda then fish tank air pump in water overnight, this method is for the carb body, it works well and is cheap