Zephyr 750 sounds like nuts and bolts floating at idle

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
David Richard

Re: Zephyr 750 sounds like nuts and bolts floating at idle

Post by David Richard »

hi freddy would you still fit a manual tensioner over a self adjusting even if all the internals were new ,if so can it be done with the carbs in place ,and how often would future adjustments be made thanks david
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

David Richard wrote:hi freddy would you still fit a manual tensioner over a self adjusting even if all the internals were new ,if so can it be done with the carbs in place ,and how often would future adjustments be made thanks david
Yep, I reckon a manual tensioner is the only way to go. 80% of the noise of the 750 engine is a faulty automatic cam chain tensioner. I'd replaced all the internals in my automatic one, was constantly servicing it trying to get it to work correctly, was resetting it virtually every ride. It's high revs that force the tensioner back on itself and it locks up in a loose chain state. Has to be reset to work again, for the next hundred kilometers and the problem reappears. Best decision I made was to throw it in the bin and fit a manual one. The fact Kawasaki redesigned the tensioner for the ZR7 is evidence there was a fault with the Zephyr design. If there wasn't why would they have changed it?

Manual tensioner can be fitted with the carbies in place. Just remove the chain cover and starter motor. Piece of cake.

I reckon make adjusting the manual cam chain tensioner part of the major 10,000 kilometer (or miles whatever you use) major service along with valve check, carby sync, etc. Only takes 2 minutes max.
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

thank for your reply ,I have looked on ebay and they list 2 ,a red and black one ,but they say for fitment to remove a cam guide ,do you know what they might be talking about ,any info would be good ,david
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Trust this hyperlink works ......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kawasaki-Z65 ... 099&_uhb=1

If the eBay link doesn't work the supplier is Legend Motorcycles in the UK.

No need to alter guides or anything. Remove the auto tensioner, clean off old gasket, fit new manual tensioner with new gasket (be sure to screw it all the way back before fitment), adjust.
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

a big thanks for that ,I will look forward to fitting that and a quiet engine david