No start

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Zephyr

No start

Post by Zephyr »

New bee . I am sorry If i put the new topic in the wrong area

Help help
I have bought a Kawasaki 750 zephyr from 1994 , I has not been used in 2 years , the fuel tank has been cleaned and the carburettor has been cleaned , the problem is that it will not start . Is there any common faults on the zephyr . Cloud anyone help on the forum pls.
Freddy

Re: No start

Post by Freddy »

Zephyr wrote:New bee . I am sorry If i put the new topic in the wrong area

Help help
I have bought a Kawasaki 750 zephyr from 1994 , I has not been used in 2 years , the fuel tank has been cleaned and the carburettor has been cleaned , the problem is that it will not start . Is there any common faults on the zephyr . Cloud anyone help on the forum pls.
'Will not start" is a bit vague. Does it mean it cranks over but will not fire? As you have mention fuel and carburetors I assume it is cranking over and not firing.

Internal combustion engines are pretty simple things. You just need 3 things to make then run 1. compression, 2. fuel/air, and 3. spark. So you just work through them systematically.

Spark - pull out the spark plugs (the new ones you bought as the very first thing in trying to get the motor running), and sit them on the cylinder head with the spark plug leads attached. Now crank over the engine on the starter observing if you have a good strong spark jumping at each spark plug.

Fuel - With the fuel tap in the 'prime' position (you have turned it to 'prime' In trying to start the motor?) open the right hand side carby drain plug in the bottom of the fuel bowl and observe if a good stream of fuel is present. Check the other 3 if you have the necessary tools to reach them. Use the choke when you're trying to start the engine.

Compression - I'll assume you may not have a compression gauge. So lets just assume that even if the compressions are low there should still be enough to make the engine run.