zr550 pick up/rotor

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
TREVOR9

zr550 pick up/rotor

Post by TREVOR9 »

Does anyone know how to turn a standard rotor into a 4° advancer?
How much metal to grind off?
DaftRusty

Re: zr550 pick up/rotor

Post by DaftRusty »

You cab build yourself a jig to measure how much metal you have filed off and how many degrees you have advanced very easily.
This took me about 10 min to build.

First google " Printable Degree Wheel" , print it out and then tape it to a flat board.
Very carefully drill a hole at the center point of the degree wheel using the exact size drill bit that fits in the center of the timing rotor. ( I think it was 21/64th but I can't remember)
Find a roll pin or another drill bit that perfectly and snuggly fits in the timing rotor slot. (There can't be any slop or your measurements will be off.) Then insert the drill bit/pin in to the board as close to the center pivot.
jig
jig
Place your un-altered rotor on it and take note where the TDC mark lines up. The degree marks it lines up with will be arbitrary, but you will measure you progress off of that number.
You need to remove material so your TDC mark moves clockwise.
rotor
rotor
Move material slowly, because if you remove too much, the ignition timing will be advanced to an unusable amount and you will need a new one.

Hope this helps.
1991 zr550
Factory Pro stage 1 jet kit
zx550 pistons and cams
kinkyfreestyler

Post by kinkyfreestyler »

Hi ,the way I did it was, remove the rotor measured the thickness of the locating pin and replaced it with a .5mm thinner pin then twisted the rotor againest it then locked it back in place.
sounds crude but it was the old cheap way of doing it ,and it works if you have a strobe you can check it. you can even try a thinner pin again and see what affect it has !
Its that long since I did mine I can't remember what size pin I used (and still use) cause's a bit of rough tick over but of tick/over it still runs sweet.
TREVOR9

Post by TREVOR9 »

Thanks both.