ZR750 C1 Clutch basket rubber dampers

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Larry02ACR

Re: ZR750 C1 Clutch basket rubber dampers

Post by Larry02ACR »

ZR468 wrote:My curiosity got the better of me, so I started checking out the clutch parts prices online. Attached is the clutch diagram, which piece is the clutch basket and which is the dampener? Thanks.
When I replaced the rear tire hub dampener, the improvement was dramatic. I presume replacing the clutch basket dampener would have similar results.
Kenny
That's the rub, you cannot buy them from Kawasaki. That's why it's so nice that TurboSteve stepped up.

You can see them behind the riveted on backing plate in this picture:

- Larry
1990 Zephyr 550, 1978 KZ400, 2004 KX250
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

ZR468 wrote:Gentlemen, thank you for the detailed explanations. Learnt something new today, but I think I'll leave well enough alone for now. If it is nor broken, don't fix it.
Kenny
They are 'broken' but its just like rear cush drive rubbers. It's not till you replace them that you realize just how 'broken' they were, and things that you took for granted as a normal charismatic of the bike, aren't the case at all. Even for someone who owned the bike from brand new, the deterioration is so slow that they will have long forgotten how certain traits of the transmission should be.

Trust me, if you want the bike running its best, don't mind working on the bike, and have the gear ..... do it. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Does you bike have a massive CLUNK changing from 1st to 2nd if you go about it a tad slowly? Loud enough you expect to see gearbox bits and a trail of oil laying in the middle of the road in your mirrors? Or to a lesser extent in any gear changing up? All GONE! Gearbox will be as quite, positive, and just 'snick' into gear like a brand new of the showroom floor motorcycle.

Do I miss the solid CLUNK!!, no.
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Freddy, to get to the clutch basket is a 3 wrench job in the Haynes Manual. I am comfortable up to 2.5 wrench. I might have to go to a repair shop. How many hours do you think it would take for a professional to complete this job?
Kenny
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

ZR468 wrote:Freddy, to get to the clutch basket is a 3 wrench job in the Haynes Manual. I am comfortable up to 2.5 wrench. I might have to go to a repair shop. How many hours do you think it would take for a professional to complete this job?
Kenny
About 2 hours if they know what they are doing. That's just pulling the clutch basket out and back, not counting the time to recondition the basket because as I haven't done it myself (I just bought a complete new one).

Yea the 3 wrenches assessment in a Haynes manual i.e. "Fairly difficult, suitable for a competent DIY mechanic" is probably accurate. BUT remember a 5 wrench is considered a job for a 'professional'. There are only 2 tasks that I would consider difficult in actually pulling the clutch basket off out and replacing it. They are ...

1. Disconnecting the clutch cable. It's not really difficult, and actually quite easy if you know the tricks. And exactly how to to is accurately described in the OEM manual. Don't know about the Haynes.

2. Undoing the clutch basket holding nut. As I said in a previous post, you needs the special holder tool, and preferable an impact gun and suitable size impact socket to undo it, it is tight. And doing it up again, holding tool and tension wrench.

Other than that, its just a systematic pretty straight forward process of draining the oil, undoing all the clutch cover bolts and giving it a couple bumps to dislodge, undo the clutch pressure plate bolts, clutch plates, and there is the clutch basket and nut. As they say in the manual, assembly is reverse. I'd recommend giving it a try, and based upon your own self-assessment, put your money toward getting a motorcycle engineering shop to do the clutch basket overhaul. Give them the basket, new rubbers, and documented procedure. They have the tools and equipment to surely be able to knock that task over in, my guess about 2 hours max.
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Freddy, so you think it would take 2 hours for a professional to pull and reinstall the clutch basket, then 2 more hours to overhaul the clutch basket. Total of 4 hours, correct?
How difficult is to overhaul the clutch basket? Is it just removing the old rubbers and push in new rubbers? I don't see that procedure in the Haynes manual nor the OEM Service manual. Does Turbosteve supply that instruction with the replacement dampeners?
Sorry to bug you with all these basic questions. I just figured out the clutch basket is the same as the as clutch housing.
Kenny
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi again how are things in chilly Canada,the clutch rubbers is all what we will have to deal with at some point ,if you go on you tube and type in replacing clutch rubbers I think this will give you a fair idea ,im not looking forward to mine but hey ho good luck david
Larry02ACR

Post by Larry02ACR »

ZR468 wrote:How difficult is to overhaul the clutch basket? Is it just removing the old rubbers and push in new rubbers? I don't see that procedure in the Haynes manual nor the OEM Service manual. Does Turbosteve supply that instruction with the replacement dampeners?
Here is a set of instructions for a different basket, but the procedure is the same:

https://www.diymotofix.com/blog/how-to- ... ss-than-30

The hardest part is getting the backing plate off.

It's much easier to do if you have a drill press, as the difficult parts are drilling the rivets without walking the bit into the basket, pressing the rivets out, and then threaded the holes.

Once that's done putting them together is easy.
- Larry
1990 Zephyr 550, 1978 KZ400, 2004 KX250
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

ZR468 wrote:Freddy, so you think it would take 2 hours for a professional to pull and reinstall the clutch basket, then 2 more hours to overhaul the clutch basket. Total of 4 hours, correct?
How difficult is to overhaul the clutch basket? Is it just removing the old rubbers and push in new rubbers? I don't see that procedure in the Haynes manual nor the OEM Service manual. Does Turbosteve supply that instruction with the replacement dampeners?
Sorry to bug you with all these basic questions. I just figured out the clutch basket is the same as the as clutch housing.
Kenny
It's just my best guess a workshop would change about 2 hours. Remember the clock will start ticking from the moment they walk to the car park to wheel the bike inside, plus a test ride at the end, etc.

There is a very comprehensive set of instructions floating around somewhere. I've got a set of them printed out and packed away together with the rubbers for if/when I every decide to tackle the task.

If you believe you have the skills and equipment to do the clutch basket reconditioning task, you would easily be able to do the removal and refit to the bike steps. All that is necessary is to just dismantle/reassemble the bike bit is work in a logical orderly manner, keep the parts in that order (don't just throw them all together into a container) and them reassemble in the exact reverse order. There is nothing technically difficult in that bit, just basic 101 level spanner skills (and 2? special tools).

The clutch basket reconditioning exercise actually has IMO a higher engineering skill level, one that really should be done with workshop level equipment (just to run a straight thread using a tap shouldn't really be done by hand). In a drill press to keep the tap straight is a 'professional' level minimum. People tap sump plug threads by hand, and then wonder why they have to tighten the plug up so tight to stop it dripping. Duh! But the job can be done just using 'hand tools'.
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Thanks Freddy, I have time, it is not urgent. The bike is shifting and engaging fine. Just not quite like a brand new one. Will see which direction to go when winter comes.
Kenny