Fitted new overhaul kit

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Greenzephyr

Fitted new overhaul kit

Post by Greenzephyr »

Totally miffed I stupidly left fuel in carbs,fast forward removed stripped ultrasonic cleaned bodys fitted new overhaul kit put carbs back on wont run just the occasional fire from no3 cylinder (downpipe warm) drained the carbs this is how much in each
Attachments
IMG_20190322_183216.jpg
Greenzephyr

Re: Fitted new overhaul kit

Post by Greenzephyr »

Had them off again fitted old float needles set float heights to 17mm fitted back on bike still no go what is wrong have I missed something?
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Greenzephyr wrote:Had them off again fitted old float needles set float heights to 17mm fitted back on bike still no go what is wrong have I missed something?
Not sure of the setup of an 1100 so I'll answer relevant to a 750 and you take whether you think relevant.

Turn the fuel tap to prime, then in turn open the drain plug in the bottom of each carburetor float bowl and check that a solid and constant stream of fuel flows from each.

Really should attach a clear plastic hose to the 'nipple' and direct the fuel into a container for safety reasons. All it takes is a static spark from your hands for loose fuel to ignite. Worked for a petroleum company for a while, got to see to many injuries to tanker drivers from just the smallest bit of escaped fuel igniting.
Greenzephyr

Post by Greenzephyr »

There is a hole between the main jet and the pilot jet is this an air passage
Attachments
IMG_20190324_191205.jpg
Greenzephyr

Post by Greenzephyr »

After marking a plastic cup that all the carbs drained off the same amount I then filled the cup up to the mark and emptied it into a float bowl this put the level right at the top so this is without the floats in the bowl so I'm guessing my my fuel level is way too high. Any comments?
Attachments
IMG_20190325_124537.jpg
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi I think from other posts on this topic the level of fuel will be above the joint when assembled with the float in,how bad were they ,david
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

That fuel level looks pretty good, it always surprises me how much fuel comes out of a float bowl when you drain them down.
Did you check your floats in a bowl of water or fuel etc to check for leaks, air bubbles ?. I noted when I did mine that the floats sit on top of the fuel barely submerged, so will not raise the level by much at all.

As it sounds like the bike is not getting fuel, might be worth checking the emulsion tube and jets in the carb, if they were left in situ when the carbs were ultrasonically cleaned, they can remain "gunged" up. I always remove all jets and poke some wire through all the holes to be 100% sure they are clear. A blocked emulsion tube could starve the bike of fuel?

Hope that helps

cheers eddie
92 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
78 Kawasaki Z1000a2
10 KTM 990 SMT
76 Yamaha XT500 supermoto
80 Honda Z50R Monkey
Greenzephyr

Post by Greenzephyr »

Replace all the parts in picture as in jets and needle & needle valve carb bodies where bare when I ultrasonically each one for 30 mins at 60c they are spotless the old needles & emulsion tubes where corroded to each other with a green crust
Attachments
IMG_20190325_213426.jpg
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Sure you've got a solid spark on all 4 cylinders? Don't know about an 1100, but on a 750 there are heaps of things to disconnect to be able to get the carbies in and out. That includes completely removing the coils.

So just check the low voltage side is connected correctly (don't know if there is a right/wrong way to connect the terminals, there certainly is on a typical car coil and the reason they are marked + -), and the HT leads are in the right order. Pull the plugs and with the leads connected sit them on the block and check the spark by spinning the engine over with the starter.

As you haven't mentioned ignition I'd completely eliminate it before continuing to chase a fuel issue.