siezed clutch

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Ivor

siezed clutch

Post by Ivor »

just got my 1100 running after a 'few' years lay up . but the clutch looks like its seized up . any tips on freeing it off before I take it all apart ?
1995 ZR1100A2
andye

Re: siezed clutch

Post by andye »

In gear with the engine off. Pull clutch in & rock the bike backwards & forwards.

Sometimes works.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

not quite sure if this is the same issue , but the bike will run in neutral quite happily going nowhere but as soon as I pull the clutch leaver in an put it in 1st gear the bike tries to launch itself through the garage door ... :shock:
1995 ZR1100A2
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

....how about this?....., the 1100 has hydraulically operated clutch. These are very old bikes and the hydraulic system (fluid, master cyl, and slave cyl) have probably never been checked/serviced/replaced.....

.....thus would not be very far fetched considering the possibility is the hydraulic system failing to disengage properly against the springs, and not the clutch.... At least I would start there.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

ah good shout :) . just ordered a clutch master cylinder repair kit and will strip it down and have a look , cheers hugo
1995 ZR1100A2
Hungry Wilf

Post by Hungry Wilf »

Slave cylinder? After being laid up, mine filled itself with fur.. had to replace the hoses, the slave cylinder and overhaul the master..
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Some more clutch help please.... it still seized.. ive changed the clutch leaver assembly and new clutch master cylinder kit for inside it. New Goodrich stainless braided hose. Bled the system correctly And new clutch plates . All worked OK round the block . Next day it was siezed again. Took the clutch to bits and prized all the plates apart and when all back together it all ran fine. Next day siezed again... aaahhhhhh. any ideas anyone ?
1995 ZR1100A2
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

You are giving both the friction and steel plates a good coating of oil prior to assembly?
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

What Freddy said! soak the new clutch plates in oil overnight before assembly.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Ah cheers didnt think of that. And also which would be best Synthetic or semi synthetic oil ?
1995 ZR1100A2