six gears on zephyr ,read on

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
David Richard

six gears on zephyr ,read on

Post by David Richard »

this makes interesting reading if you have the time ,a chap on the kzr forum has spent time to see if another gear can be put in a 750 and other models its way above my scope i think freddy might be able to work it out ,you can visit the sight as a guest ,david
Freddy

Re: six gears on zephyr ,read on

Post by Freddy »

Here's the link ......

https://kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/6074 ... ons#813984

My main thought ..... the reason stated for undertaking quite a large task. While I know its popular to want reduce the engine revs at highway speeds (its even a popular modification to the new Z900RS) I don't personally think its a issue. It's an inline 4. Inline 4's are designed and meant to rev. So personally, if I thought the ZR750 would significantly benefit from having a 6th gear, it wouldn't be to reduce top gear revs. I'm quite happy with stock gearing on the highway, I actually wouldn't want to be forced to always have to change down to overtake. Just twist the throttle and go in most situations.

If I thought a ZR750 would benefit from a 6 speed gearbox, it would only be to have one more usable gear between 2nd and 5th. I think in practice the ZR750 really only has a 3 speed gear box once underway (5,4,3). It'd be nice to have a forth gear in this range with better spacing between 2-3.

Do I think its a big enough issue to go to all this effort, nope. It'd be more a case of doing it, just because you can, to be unique, just for the fun of it .... rather than a significant necessary improvement.

P.S. Re-jetting the carbies for a cost of about $20 to give way more grunt in any gear is how I overcame most of the limitations of 'just' a 5 speed box. I found the significant extra grunt on a D1 model going up one size genuine main jets on the middle carbies, and two on the outer ones was way more effective than what I anticipate an extra gear would give. No noticeable effect of fuel consumption/range. And for what its worth, I wouldn't touch non genuine Keihin jets, you have no idea what your getting, either size or quality wise.
hugojose

Re: six gears on zephyr ,read on

Post by hugojose »

Daftrusty, the originator of the conversion in the KZ forum who started that link in '17, is also a member of this forum.....