Leaking fuel

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Philbo

Leaking fuel

Post by Philbo »

I started my ‘92 750 and ran it for about 150 m, parked outside my door.

When I came out 15 minutes later, it was leaking fuel from what looks like an overflow pipe from the carbs and wouldn’t start. Anyone have any ideas or seen this before?
Ivor

Re: Leaking fuel

Post by Ivor »

I had it this morning and looked to be a stuck float in the carbs , I gave them a tap on the side with a wooden hammer handle and this cured my leak , (mine had been stood for a quite a while tho , not just came back from a ride)
1995 ZR1100A2
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Philbo wrote:I started my ‘92 750 and ran it for about 150 m, parked outside my door.

When I came out 15 minutes later, it was leaking fuel from what looks like an overflow pipe from the carbs and wouldn’t start. Anyone have any ideas or seen this before?
Yep, just common old flooding from crap in the float valve. Two types of problems, crap stopping the valve seating correctly (in your case) or fuel that has turned to glue sticking the valve in place and not allowing fuel in. Both problems caused by infrequent use and fuel left in the bowls and allowed to evaporate away.

A quick fix to hopefully fix either problem (short of a strip and clean). If you have a manual tap turn it to off to stop more fuel entering the carbies. Then clear the flooded condition by hold the throttle fully open while cranking over the engine. At some point the engine should splutter to life and run till the carbies run out of fuel, and the engine cuts out. Now turn the fuel tap back to the on position. The inrush of fuel into the completely empty carbt bowls will hopefully clear the offending crap.

If you don't have a manual off/on fuel tap and have the vacuum operated stock setup. Simulate a manual tap by disconnecting and plugging the vacuum line at the back of the tap. The tap is effectively now in the off position. Get the bike running again as per above till it cuts out. Then turn the tap to the 'prime position' which is the same as ON.

If the above doesn't work, pull the carbies out and strip and clean. It is not that hard a task if approached using the appropriate sequence.

Good Luck.
Philbo

Post by Philbo »

Thanks, I’ll try that