tank sealer lifting

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
David Richard

tank sealer lifting

Post by David Richard »

i have a tank new to me which is in good shape but the previous owner had used a sealer its grey in colour but has lifted has any one a idea what i can use to get out ,i guess a chemical of sorts but what ,david
Shedman

Re: tank sealer lifting

Post by Shedman »

Hello David, have you heard of this stuff? I've never tried it and hopefully I never will.

https://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/fuel-ta ... k-sealers/
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

dcf750

Post by dcf750 »

Does anyone have any positive experience with tank sealer? I have a spare tank that is fairly rusty inside and would like to save it if possible. I assume if the sealer is lifting the prep work was not good enough? Any tips on makes, method etc would be useful. Thanks :roll:
Den

Zephyr 750 C4
Zephyr 750 C3
————————-
Z1000-A2 1979
KH400-A4 1977
KH250-B1 1976
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

thanks for the reply ,shedman yes ill look into that caswell is quite well known over here i will have to be careful not to get any on the paint ,i hope prev owner did it before he had a problem ,these tanks are so thin ,thanks
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

dcf750 wrote:Does anyone have any positive experience with tank sealer? I have a spare tank that is fairly rusty inside and would like to save it if possible. I assume if the sealer is lifting the prep work was not good enough? Any tips on makes, method etc would be useful. Thanks :roll:
Hi dcf, tbh I've never used it myself but I only seem to hear bad things about it. I've heard that even if POR 15 is done perfectly it only lasts for around 5 years then it starts to degrade causing all sorts of mayhem. I have also heard that POR 15 doesn't like to stick to clean bare metal, it was formulated to stick to rusty metal.
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Well I must admit that I used Por15 on my tank in Jan 2013, I have never had an issue and I hope not to, just hope that it doesn't start peeling like as posted above, I guess time will tell :o
I drain my tank when I put it into storage each November until March/April time, maybe that's a good thing as its not being in contact with fuel continuously.
The tank was in perfect condition when I did it, I did it as a preventative, would I do it again if I had the choice, probably not :x as all I hear now is people who have, have had issues, maybe they rushed it when doing it, I definitely didn't rush it as it was in the winter time so I didn't need to, well what's done is done so I will have to see how it goes !
The video I made is on the link below....

Swamps :)

https://youtu.be/9IIgDj_Pq-E
Swamps :)
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

the point swampy made about not rushing the process is a good one and the paint sticks better to rusty surface better as dcf said,ill get into it shortly and see whats gone wrong ,i had a spare tank to use but would like this one back in use ,thanks david
Old Kwack

Post by Old Kwack »

I recently purchased a 1990 Zephyr 550 and after getting it home and having the carbs leak, I realized the tank, which had been coated with an off-white sort of epoxy, was the cause. The coating was coming off in large flakes and small pieces with rust underneath the coating. I pulled out the large pieces I could reach and used acetone to melt the portions of the coating I couldn't get to. Acetone will damage the paint on the outside of the tank, but I was able to avoid any major problems by waxing the tank prior to using acetone and wiping any spills or dribbles immediately upon contact. There are several YouTube videos explaining the process more thoroughly than I can describe here, but I was able to successfully remove the old coating.
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi old kwack ,good name yes thanks for the info i will have a look and see i remember a tank sealer called pet seal which was a epoxy resin ,but i was a poor quality product im not looking forward to it ,are you pleased with your 550 it, have you any more in your stable ,david