550 Pod Jetting

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
lowd239

550 Pod Jetting

Post by lowd239 »

Hey all,

The 90 ZR550 I bought came with pod air filters but the jetting was stock. I had extra gsf600 jets so I swapped the pilot jet from 35 to 38 and the main jet from 108/110 to 130. I kept the needle in the same place

It idles great now with no choke and is smooth on partial throttle but still bogs at wide open throttle. Using some choke helps the full throttle bogging so I know its still too lean.

Question is if anyone knows ballpark jetting for the mains?? 150?? More? Everything else is stock.

Thanks
hugojose

Re: 550 Pod Jetting

Post by hugojose »

Ok, nobody seems to answer because very few get into this 'jetting' thing, because is opening a can of worms...not to mention what it might do to range. Personally, I'd purchase a used air box/boots and go back to stock. Only good reason for the pods is how difficult is removing and installing back carbs with the air box and rubber intake boots..

.....buf you insists on going the 'jetting' route, the needles and mains dominate open throttle. You may try raising the needles with shims see how you do, otherwise needles with notches, and/or keep trying bigger main jets. At least on the 750, with a manual camchain tensioner, I can remove and change everything (except enrichener plunger on side) from top or bottom, without removing carbs from bike.
lowd239

Post by lowd239 »

I hear you and trust me I was not pleased with the pod set up as I know it issues...I had hoped to put on the airbox but it was missing a bunch of parts parts and pricing them out it'll be expensive to replace.

Has no one attempted the pod route? I couldn't find any posts but it looked like in at least one sig post someone mentioned they had pods on their zr550.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

lowd239 wrote:I hear you and trust me I was not pleased with the pod set up as I know it issues...I had hoped to put on the airbox but it was missing a bunch of parts parts and pricing them out it'll be expensive to replace.

Has no one attempted the pod route? I couldn't find any posts but it looked like in at least one sig post someone mentioned they had pods on their zr550.
It's not so much a question of has anyone got pods on their bike, or even if it runs with pods, the question should be "has anyone got a 550 with pods that the bike runs as well or better than the stock airbox?" Not just makes more intake noise and kids the rider its got more power.

Don't expect too many, if any, answers. Just research 'velocity stacks' as just one of the reasons you may not get an answer. The airbox on a modern engine (car or bike) is a velocity stack, and performs the same performance improvement task as those long pipes you would have seem sticking out the engine of a 1970? sport or F1 race car. Try researching Helmholtz Resonance if you want to understand why there is a 'snorkel' in an airbox, and how engine designers utilize this property to boost or cover up performance issues, for a street bike generally the mid range 'bog' caused by intake/exhaust valve overlap. Often made worst when someone fits a non standard exhaust.

If all that's too complex, consider the simple. What's about the worst possible place, performance wise, you could put the entrance to the intake system of an internal combustion engine. Try in the hottest air stream you can possibly find. Where's that on an I4 air-cooled motorcycle engine? How about right behind the cylinder block. With the stock air-box the intake entrance is up under the seat, well away from the engine heat.

And I haven't touched on the most difficult challenge which is fundamental to how a CV carby works. The most relevant being how it works without needing the mechanical accelerator pump usually found in non CV type carbies.

Gain some understanding of the above, and then you will better placed to appreciate the challenges people are attempting to resolve by tinkering with fuel jet sizes.
Last edited by Freddy on 29 Mar 2020, 04:58, edited 2 times in total.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

lowd239 wrote:I hear you and trust me I was not pleased with the pod set up as I know it issues...I had hoped to put on the airbox but it was missing a bunch of parts parts and pricing them out it'll be expensive to replace.

Hi, if you are in the US check out ebay item 233290704293 complete air box for $30 + p+p (which is $106 to the UK :shock: )
lowd239

Post by lowd239 »

Thanks Shedman...I actually tried to purchase that airbox but they must have shut down their ebay store since the sale won't go through. I even tried to call the location in Texas but could get no one to pick up the phone. Ahhhh!

I mainly need the airbox ducts part # 14073-1211 I tried to cross reference the part but even then was not able to find much here on american ebay
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

lowd239 wrote:Thanks Shedman...I actually tried to purchase that airbox but they must have shut down their ebay store since the sale won't go through. I even tried to call the location in Texas but could get no one to pick up the phone. Ahhhh!

I mainly need the airbox ducts part # 14073-1211 I tried to cross reference the part but even then was not able to find much here on american ebay
That part number also comes up for a 1995 ZL600 B-1.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

They are also the same as the ducts on a 750 Zephyr C