Clutch Fluid?

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
TerryG

Clutch Fluid?

Post by TerryG »

Any reccomendations for which clutch fluid for my 1995 550 ?
Freddy

Re: Clutch Fluid?

Post by Freddy »

TerryG wrote:Any reccomendations for which clutch fluid for my 1995 550 ?
Any decent brand and grade other than Dot 5, would be fine. If you want to get the optimum, go for DOT 5.1 (is is VERY different to DOT 5, do not confuse them). Why 5.1, because its its got a lower viscosity than DOT 3 or 4 (designed for ABS systems to work quickly) so should give the fastest response.
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

Clutch Fluid??? What are we talking about?? As far as I knew, the clutch fluid (cooling media) in the 750 and 550 clutches is engine oil, and it is operated by cable, which may require some light oil lube, but what else? What am I missing??

..............Was the question about BRAKE fluid?? The answers seems to be.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

hugojose wrote:Clutch Fluid??? What are we talking about?? As far as I knew, the clutch fluid (cooling media) in the 750 and 550 clutches is engine oil, and it is operated by cable, which may require some light oil lube, but what else? What am I missing??

..............Was the question about BRAKE fluid?? The answers seems to be.
I was assuming from the question that the 550 must have a hydraulic operated clutch like the 1100??? But there seem to be no shortage of replacement clutch cables for 550s on the internet.
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

550 clutch is cable operated. I was just puzzled by the question and still am, unless it was about the brakes.
TerryG

Post by TerryG »

Ooops!
Brake fluid.
Sorry sometimes I'm just stupid.
Terry
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

No, you are not. Was only the wrong word.

If you only knew mechanical mistakes I've made. Anyway, Freddy's answer still holds and thanks for clearing that up.
TerryG

Post by TerryG »

hugojose wrote:No, you are not. Was only the wrong word.

If you only knew mechanical mistakes I've made. Anyway, Freddy's answer still holds and thanks for clearing that up.
Haha, ask my wife and she'd agree to stupidity