Help me fix my side stand?

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Freddy

Re: Help me fix my side stand?

Post by Freddy »

I've been following this thread thinking .... are you trying to fix something that isn't actually broken. In your pictures in the first post, I have to admit I can't actually see any obvious out of roundness wear in any of the components. It may be there, but I just can't see it.

So .... aware that my 750 has a crap load of slop in the side stand pivot, I just went and measured it. With the bike on the center stand pull out the fitted side stand so its straight out from the bike at 90 degrees. The return spring will be pulling it upward. Push the side stand down to the other side of the 'slop' and measure the amount of travel at the outside end of the side stand. The slop in mine is 42mm, measured at the outside end of the side stand.

If your bike isn't a 750, just forget everything your just read as it may not be applicable. If it is, trust a comparison may be helpful in seeing just how much wear you are really dealing with.
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Thanks for that. I certainly had that thought, that maybe a little slop in it was normal and expected. I guess I’m just looking at the way it’s made, a tab with a hole, a stand with a “fork,” and a bolt with an OD that is presumably the same size as the hole’s ID, and I’m think that means it shouldn’t have any slop.
A breeze from the west.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Stereordinary wrote:Thanks for that. I certainly had that thought, that maybe a little slop in it was normal and expected. I guess I’m just looking at the way it’s made, a tab with a hole, a stand with a “fork,” and a bolt with an OD that is presumably the same size as the hole’s ID, and I’m think that means it shouldn’t have any slop.
When I bought my D1 with only 30,000 kilometres on it the side stand switch wasn't working (just the metal tab had been bent) and even then I noticed how much slop there was in the side stand pivot. If it was wear I'd expect the holes would be egg shaped (they wouldn't wear perfectly round), and/or the bolt would have a groove in it. Honestly, if the amount of 'movement' at the ground end is the same as mine, I reckon its ok. Mines got now 200,000 something k's on it and the sidestand hasn't failed yet.
Last edited by Freddy on 30 Sep 2021, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

I’ll measure the slop in it next time I have the bike up on a stand. In the meantime I feel ok using it, and just keeping a close eye on it.
A breeze from the west.