Help me fix my side stand?

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Stereordinary

Help me fix my side stand?

Post by Stereordinary »

This morning I noticed that my side stand wasn’t sitting up tight where it’s supposed to. It still stays up, but instead of straight back and solid, it’s sort of droopy and wobbly. I think it would take a lot more for the stand to activate the switch while riding, so I don’t have any immediate concerns of that happening. But I would like for it all to be more solid like it should be.

It seems that the extra nut that keeps the bolt that holds the side stand in place fell off at some point. And apparently this happened long ago enough that now there’s undo wear on the mount, the stand, and that bolt. See photo below.

I feel terrible that I didn’t catch it sooner, but now I just have to fix it. So what would y’all suggest? I could do washers on either side of the mount, or a bushing around the bolt maybe? Open to suggestions.
Attachments
96324306-7D6D-46DC-B18A-FD6AFE5BBD5D.jpeg
A breeze from the west.
hugojose

Re: Help me fix my side stand?

Post by hugojose »

owahooo....somebody showed a sign of life in this forum after over a month.

Yes, you could do the washers you are thinking and would probably be OK, but I'd feel insecure when sitting the bike. Unless you think there is enough material left.

I presume this a 550. If so, is the bracket removable from frame by those bolts?? If that is the case, I'd try finding a replacement (used actually, as don't think new ones are available). Would replace everything I could find, including bolt and stand.

.......if not finding another one, I'd explore welding more material on the hole body and grinding it down to give it more strength. I personally suck at welding, but would find someone who could.
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

This is a common problem for bikes. I think people forget that the sidestand is only made to hold the bike up but we tend to sit on the bike with stand down and that adds heaps of weight on the pivot. I find the main problem is the "fork" on the mount spreads and the problem snowballs. I have tried washers and using oxy to bash the gap back together. One thing I did learn was to leave the pivot bolt in while bashing, slightly out of alignment and the bolt no go back in. A new stand and bolt definitely helps even if it looks "OK". I have tried welding the oval hole but it is difficult to make it round again unless you strip it and put the frame on a milling machine.
Silicone, liquid metal or duct tape does not work unfortunately in this situation. :lol:
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

hugojose wrote:owahooo....somebody showed a sign of life in this forum after over a month.

Now please, dont all rush to post :lol: :lol: :lol:
Swamps :)
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a replacement ?

:?
Swamps :)
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Thanks guys. I wish the bracket mount on the frame was replaceable, but unfortunately it’s not. I can get a replacement side stand and bolt from eBay, but new ones are back ordered, and look like maybe not available anymore. I guess I have to hope that’s enough if I can’t find someone to help me weld the hole back to round.
A breeze from the west.
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Ordered a used stand off of eBay. Should be here by Friday. Bike is up on a paddock stand right now. Don’t wanna make the problem worse.
A breeze from the west.
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

There is another method I have thought about but not tried. You can buy hardened bushes. So you drill out the existing hole larger and fit the bush with maybe a tack weld to stop it turning. Does not have to be spot on, close enough=good enough. One of my motto's ;)
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Well the replacement side stand didn’t work out. It’s maybe a little less wobbly, but still too much for comfort. I think I’m definitely looking at some kind of repair to the bracket on the frame. So I guess it’s a bushing or a washer.
A breeze from the west.
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

A thin washer in there seems to really help the stand stay up when riding, but I feel like there’s still too much play when down and holding the bike up. I wish I could find someone local to help me weld it better, but I’m still working on that. At the very least I think it’s enough to get the bike to somewhere for a proper fix. I may invest in a wheel chock so that when it’s parked at home there’s no need to use the side stand. Then I’ll have the option of at least going out for fun rides.
A breeze from the west.