1992 ZR1100 Shocks

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
92Zephyr1100

1992 ZR1100 Shocks

Post by 92Zephyr1100 »

I don't know if these shocks were rubbish from the start but they are now, I've only owned the bike 3 years. If these were never good from new does anyone know a good well priced set that I can purchase please? The bike bottoms out with a light pillion on board. Thank you
Attachments
Kawasaki Shocks.JPG
Freddy

Re: 1992 ZR1100 Shocks

Post by Freddy »

"a good well priced set". There in lies your problem. It's a bit like the old saying, "there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots".
You DO get what you pay for in shocks. I have a set of Wilbers 633 TS on a 750 and they are very good, they make them for an 1100 as well. Not sure they meet your criteria of 'well priced'.

P.S. And whatever you decide make sure they come with a heavy dual rate (most people call them progressive) springs fitted. The dual rate springs normally fitted are hardly strong enough to support the weight of the bike, let alone a rider (before even considering a load).
andye

Post by andye »

I had my 750 shocks refurbished by Brooke suspension. I'm happy enough with them although I only ride 1 up on UK roads (I weigh 12stone).
https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/motor ... r-repairs/

Reasonable quality shocks on a budget would be YSS or Hagon. Wilbers also do an Ecoline which may be worth checking out.

Depending who you buy them from, you should be able to tell them the weight you are carrying & the intended use and they should recommend appropriate spring rates.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

andye wrote: Wilbers also do an Ecoline which may be worth checking out.
The Wilbers Ecoline doesn't have adjustable rebound damping, let alone compression damping. It'd be just a fluke if someone was to get the ride and handling they wanted without fine tuning at a minimum rebound damping.