Carb Heater question

When all the smoke has escaped from inside the wires...

Carb Heater question

Postby GaryBode69 » 22 May 2020, 20:31

Does anyone have thoughts on whether carb heaters are needed for Summer riding in the UK? (Mine is a 750C1)
Reason for my query is that the connectors directly on each heater were severely corroded leaving very little to connect to.
This was discovered when stripping my carbs to be sent off to be deep cleaned at the back end of last year. (that's another story of woe which I may share soon :roll: )

thanks
Gary
GaryBode69
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 04 Sep 2017, 20:39

Re: Carb Heater question

Postby Swampy » 22 May 2020, 22:38

GaryBode69 wrote:Does anyone have thoughts on whether carb heaters are needed for Summer riding in the UK? (Mine is a 750C1)
Reason for my query is that the connectors directly on each heater were severely corroded leaving very little to connect to.
This was discovered when stripping my carbs to be sent off to be deep cleaned at the back end of last year. (that's another story of woe which I may share soon :roll: )

thanks
Gary



I would of thought not personally, heaters are not fitted to my 1100 and its always been fine, not that i use it in the winter :o
Swamps :)
Swampy
 
Posts: 278
Joined: 04 Sep 2017, 18:01

Re: Carb Heater question

Postby GaryBode69 » 23 May 2020, 10:10

thanks Swampy, interesting to know not all models have the heaters.
GaryBode69
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 04 Sep 2017, 20:39

Re: Carb Heater question

Postby Freddy » 23 May 2020, 14:04

Gasoline can freeze at -38C (-100F) so I suppose it depends if UK summers get warmer than that. From what I hear possibly not :lol:
Freddy
 
Posts: 570
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 11:06
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: Carb Heater question

Postby GaryBode69 » 23 May 2020, 21:59

Freddy wrote:Gasoline can freeze at -38C (-100F) so I suppose it depends if UK summers get warmer than that. From what I hear possibly not :lol:


:D
GaryBode69
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 04 Sep 2017, 20:39

Re: Carb Heater question

Postby Shedman » 24 May 2020, 09:53

My C1 hasn't got any and I don't think it ever did and I have used my bike in winter with no problems.
Shedman
 
Posts: 189
Joined: 06 Dec 2017, 07:31
Location: Derby UK

Re: Carb Heater question

Postby Dodger11 » 10 Dec 2020, 10:21

I have a zr 550 model B zepyer with carb heaters on ,when I took carbs off to clean two of the wires had shaped off the carb body's only owned the bike for three months, the guy I bought it from said it stud in the garage for about two years traced the wires back to the control box under the back of the seat cowel looks like a block of rust ,has anybody removed them
Dodger11
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 09 Dec 2020, 12:52

Re: Carb Heater question

Postby Shedman » 11 Dec 2020, 15:11

Dodger11 wrote:I have a zr 550 model B zepyer with carb heaters on ,when I took carbs off to clean two of the wires had shaped off the carb body's only owned the bike for three months, the guy I bought it from said it stud in the garage for about two years traced the wires back to the control box under the back of the seat cowel looks like a block of rust ,has anybody removed them

Yes, with no problems on my C4 750 Zephyr, but I don't know nuffink abaaht 550's :oops:
Shedman
 
Posts: 189
Joined: 06 Dec 2017, 07:31
Location: Derby UK

Re: Carb Heater question

Postby Dodger11 » 11 Dec 2020, 19:16

Thanks in the middle of striping the bike down at the moment,I will try leaving them unplugged when I get sorted.if it runs ok they will be off.
Dodger11
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 09 Dec 2020, 12:52


Return to Electrical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest