Spark then no spark?

When all the smoke has escaped from inside the wires...
Shedman

Spark then no spark?

Post by Shedman »

So I've changed my ignition switch, harness (loom), switch gears and added new battery, plugs, leads etc....
All of this crap started when my ignition switch crapped out, I replaced the ignition switch with a NOS item and I couldn't get the bike to start, I had ran it up and down the road just before the ignition switch died, it ran fine.
The problem I had was that as soon as I hit the starter button I'd get a spark but then no spark (with plug resting on head), leave it a few seconds, hit the starter I'd get a spark then no spark. Anyone got any ideas? The bike had a US/Canadian loom, switch gears and headlight but I swapped it back to UK electrics and I've got exactly the same problem, spark at first then no spark unless I leave it a few seconds. I have cleaned all of the electrical connectors and stripped the kill switch and cleaned that as well. I have also replaced the clutch switch and cleaned and checked the side stand switch.
Ivor

Re: Spark then no spark?

Post by Ivor »

I had a similar problem with my old Z1000 . In the end it turned out to be the resistors kept failing in the spark plugs (so in that case I bought NGK B8-ES instead of B8R-ES , the R denoting resistor) hope you get it running ready for when we're allowed to go out next.....
1995 ZR1100A2
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

Thanks Ivor, I fixed the problem yesterday. The NOS ignition switch looked the same as the original, it even came with the Kawasaki part number paper label in the bag but it wasn't the same, it didn't have the built in resistor.
I bought a cheap Chinese copy, fitted it and the bike started straight away.
My bike has had so many bodge artist owners in the past that its surprising that it ever ran at all, but it is all good now as I've worked my way through the whole thing, using genuine Kawasaki parts whenever possible.
Just my bloody luck to fix it at Easter Bank Holiday weekend in the middle of a sodding Pandemic lockdown, absolutely zero chance of finding someone to MOT it. Stay safe mate!
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

well done shedman ,a result it does make you wonder why the po changed the loom ,you got me thinking about that i, have a spare loom i got from germany i hope its the same for a uk one ,its amazing what different countries change ,but where theres a will theres a way, does the cheap switch look like it might be up to the job, david
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

David Richard wrote:well done shedman ,a result it does make you wonder why the po changed the loom ,you got me thinking about that i, have a spare loom i got from germany i hope its the same for a uk one ,its amazing what different countries change ,but where theres a will theres a way, does the cheap switch look like it might be up to the job, david
Hi David, yes the switch is very well made for a cheap copy, I'd say it was a perfect fit as well. As far as I'm aware all UK and European looms are the same, the only real differences are the US/Canada looms have three wires for each of the front indicators for the Daytime Running Lights instead of just two, they don't have the parking light wiring in the headlamp shell and they have two unconnected wires for "Accessories" under the seat. The US/Canada switch gear have no lights ON/OFF switch and no headlight flasher switch on the left side.
My 750 is the C1 with no carb heaters, the loom I got from ebay was from a C3 with the carb heater relays, they were easily removed by pulling the blue 15 amp fuse and cutting the white/red (I think?) wire to the fuse box, then unbolting the red/yellow (again I think but I'll check if anyone needs to know) wire connector from the starter solenoid. One thing I should mention, even though its kind of obvious, a US/Canadian fuse box is wired different to the UK/European fuse box.
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

morning shedman ,i remember talking with a mate years ago about parts that swamp ebay ffrom china and it was said if they improved the quality people would have more confidants in them so fingers crossed then .regarding the info on loom specs thats interesting ,i hope i dont need it i got it when i kept on having issues with mine destroying front brake light switches ,but china has given us so much more at to remember ,david