Turn signal wont work

When all the smoke has escaped from inside the wires...
Zed

Turn signal wont work

Post by Zed »

Hi, the right rear turn signal on my Zephyr 1100 wont work. The fuse is OK and the bulb is also fine. I have also checked the cable connections. What can be the problem?
96 Zephyr 1100
Shedman

Re: Turn signal wont work

Post by Shedman »

Hi Zed, if you have checked the bulb and the wiring connectors then that only leaves the wiring between the two. Have you changed the bulb? I've had bulb and bulb sockets playing silly buggers in the past, is there any corrosion inside the bulb holder or electrical connections, any fraying in the wires? I doubt it would be your flasher unit or fuse if its just one indicator acting up.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Zed wrote:Hi, the right rear turn signal on my Zephyr 1100 wont work. The fuse is OK and the bulb is also fine. I have also checked the cable connections. What can be the problem?
Get a simple 12v LED test light (pointed screwdriver thingy with wire lead and alligator clip). Probably the most useful tool made for finding electrical faults.
Remove the bulb, alligator clip attached to the earth side of the battery, and indicator turned on. Does the LED lamp flash when put on the tip of the tester is put on the bulb connection? No, then you have a problem before that point. Trace it backward using the same method. Don't be afraid to just shove the point of the probe through the plastic insulation of the cable if necessary.

If if does flash, then you have an earth problem. As everything else works I assume, it'll most likely be the bulb in the holder, or where the bulb holder earth wire grounds. Again your simple test light will find it. Just put the bulb back in the holder to complete the circuit, and work you way along the earth circuit till the led stops flashing. That's where the poor earth connect is. It'll flash where its the only earth completing the circuit.

P.S. Get an LED one as they have 2 advantages over the cheaper ones with a bulb inside. The LED will light on the smallest of current, and they draw so little current your really cant damage electronic components if you use it on a circuit attached to some microchip.
Zed

Post by Zed »

Thanks Freddy and Shedman for your comments and usefull information. I will work on the bike tomorrow and hopefully the problem will be solved :D
96 Zephyr 1100
Zed

Post by Zed »

Works fine now :)
Attachments
blink.png
blink.png (387.61 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
96 Zephyr 1100
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Zed wrote:Works fine now :)
And the problem was ?????
Zed

Post by Zed »

And the problem was ?????
I traced mt way backward until I discovered an earth problem.
96 Zephyr 1100