Stebel Horn and Gas Tank

When all the smoke has escaped from inside the wires...
ZR468

Stebel Horn and Gas Tank

Post by ZR468 »

I am thinking about installing a Stebel horn onto my ZR750. I have a couple questions that I hope the members can help me with.
First- Has anyone installed one of these horns onto their ZR? Where did you mount it?

Second- The stock horn is under the gas tank. Is there a way I can prop up the gas tank without removing it completely?

Thank you in advance, Kenny
Attachments
image.jpeg
Freddy

Re: Stebel Horn and Gas Tank

Post by Freddy »

ZR468 wrote:I am thinking about installing a Stebel horn onto my ZR750. I have a couple questions that I hope the members can help me with.
First- Has anyone installed one of these horns onto their ZR? Where did you mount it?

Second- The stock horn is under the gas tank. Is there a way I can prop up the gas tank without removing it completely?

Thank you in advance, Kenny
I can answer the second question, that's an easy one ..... no. The tank cannot be propped up at the front, only potentially the back a tiny bit, and if you try and do the front of the tank will jam into the steering head. It is not difficulty to completely remove the tank. Once you've done it once figuring out what needs to be disconnected, it can be done in a few minutes.

Remove seat
Remove both left and right side covers
Undo 2 tank retaining bolts at the rear of the tank
Slightly lift the rear of tank (being careful not to damage the paintwork of the tank at the front), and disconnect the rear vent hose on the right rear side of the tank. It just pulls down.
Disconnect the fuel line. I find the easiest way is a screwdriver placed against the front lip of the hose and leverage it backward. Once it moves back a bit just wiggle it and pull off. I don't even touch the useless retaining clip.
Put your hand around behind the fuel tap and feel the vacuum hose. It just pull off, straight backward.
Feel up under the right hand edge of the tank and there will be 2 metal tabs that hold the fuel sensor cable and another vent hose in position. Bend the top of those tabs back a bit to allow the cable and hose to be lifted free of the tabs.
Disconnect the fuel gauge cable at the push together connector just near the carburettors
Pull the vent hose of the fuel gauge unit. It just pull off (backward).

Now lift the rear of the tank slightly at the same time withdrawing it backward. One completely removed fuel tank. Check the round rubber tank retaining 'bits' (one each side at the front )haven't been dislodged. Maybe put them somewhere safe till your ready to refit the tank. They just lift off the lug that locates them.

Might sound complicated but really very easy. As they say in the manuals, refitting is just the reverse.

P.S. For what it worth, my solution to the near useless 750 horn was to buy a genuine Yamaha XT250 horn. I own one of these bikes and knew the small inexpensive loud and shrill horn was quite effective in traffic. It only attaches by one bolt instead of the two, but no issue. Certainly not going to be on a par with dual air horns etc, but for a very cheap easy improvement works well.
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Freddy, thank you very much. Sounds like you can do it in your sleep. I bought the Stebel horn already. I'll see how it goes.
Nice to be back on the forum again.
Do you have a tip on the fuel hose once I pull it? Will the gas pour out from the hose? I presume if the pet cock is in the ON position, it will stop the gas in the tank from coming out because there is no vaccum, right?
Kenny
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

ZR468 wrote:Freddy, thank you very much. Sounds like you can do it in your sleep. I bought the Stebel horn already. I'll see how it goes.
Nice to be back on the forum again.
Do you have a tip on the fuel hose once I pull it? Will the gas pour out from the hose? I presume if the pet cock is in the ON position, it will stop the gas in the tank from coming out because there is no vaccum, right?
Kenny
No problem with just pulling the fuel hose of with the tap in the run position (assuming the vacuum valve is working correctly). You'll just get a few drop from what in the very top of the fuel hose dislodge.

Tip: If possible wait till the tanks is toward the empty side. Much lighter. It's reasonably heavy full, but the main reason is because its more awkward to work with, especially if you haven't done it before.