Linear v Dual Rate rear springs

For all your handling questions
Freddy

Linear v Dual Rate rear springs

Post by Freddy »

And one more suspension topic .....

For a number of years now I've been running Wilbers top of their line dual piggyback triple clicker rear shocks. They were always way better than the originals, even a few goes at rebuilding the originals.

BUT ..... there was always a constant 'struggle' to get a setting I was completely happy with. You'd have them firing one day, then they felt like crap the next. Getting them rebuilt and re-valved a few times didn't seem to be making any meaningful progress.

THE, finally decided to flick the dual-rate springs that had come on the Wilbers (people often call them progressive springs but they are not, they are dual-rate ) and try linear springs (like what was on the bike originally). Man what a difference. Way more 'planted', ground clearance (always been a problem) is massively improved because the springs just don't easily blow through the soft spring section.

The set I've tried first up (Race Tech 2.7 Kg/mm) maybe just a tad firm. Brilliant on good roads, just a bit strong for bad roads. So I'm going to trial a set of lighter 2.2 Kg/mm just to see which is the best compromise.

So the learning, just don't stick with the dual rate rear springs that may have come with the aftermarket shocks you may have purchased. Be prepared to try straight linear springs. No matter which way you go its all a compromise and only you can say which compromise best suits you needs. Me, I'll be sticking with linear springs on the back, just need to decide on the best weight.
Freddy

Re: Linear v Dual Rate rear springs

Post by Freddy »

An update to this topic.......

I've now fitted the 2.2 Kg/mm linear rear springs and find then just about perfect.

They do transmit more small road surface imperfections back into the bike compared to dual-rate springs. But with compression damping wound back a bit and 2 psi lower rear tyre pressure, its quite an acceptable ride. However as the linear springs give way better stability in corners, way better ground clearance (what I've always considered the major handling shortcoming), and MUCH sharper steering a little more road feedback is a small price to pay.