Metzeler Roadtec 01's

For all your handling questions
Freddy

Metzeler Roadtec 01's

Post by Freddy »

A post,just sort of for the sake of it ......

Have run Metzeler Z8's for the past few years on the 750 (other than 1 try of Pirelli Angle GT's). Think the Z8's are just about the perfect match for the bike. Anyhow, new Australian distributor for Metzeler is no longer bringing in Z8's in the odd ball 150 rear size due to being superseded by the Roadtec 01. So no option but to fit em and see how they go.

Initially hatted them. Way more 'squirrely' than the Z8's. Was running them at the pressures I had used for years in the Z8's 32 front, 34 rear. After getting to the point of being prepared to bin these new tyres, yes that's how bad I though they were, I decided as a last resort to try a little more air pressure. 35 front, 38 rear. Wow, what a difference. Yes, they are good if you run them at these higher pressures.

However these higher pressures certainly make for a harder ride. I'm fortunate have rear shocks with 22 click independent low and high speed compression damping so get back that off a bit to compensate. With the very basic compression damping adjustment on the OEM shocks (which I had my doubts every really worked) adjustment may be limited.

So will I use them again, probably not. There really isn't a need for more wet weather oriented tyres where I live. When it rains occasionally, simply just don't ride. I'll probably revert back to the Pirelli Angle GT's. Not a massive fan of the steeper sports bike V profile of the front tyre causing the bike to drop into a corner rather than roll. Did prefer the more neutral U shape of the Z8.

But for people living where roads are regularly wet, the Roadtec 01 is probably a pretty good choice. Just remember to experiment with higher pressures to get them to work.

Stu

Re: Metzeler Roadtec 01's

Post by Stu »

Have you tried Bridgestone BT023? Still available in UK in the right sizes, I have them fitted already.

I've run these and z8's on both my big Triumphs and while I couldn't complain about the z8, I always preferred the feel of the Bridgestones. Fitting a set after anything else was like "coming home". Went to T30s once, but they didn't offer anything better, wore out faster and cost more. I'll probably fit BT023 on anything that will take them until they're discontinued. Cheap now, too!
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Stu wrote:Have you tried Bridgestone BT023? Still available in UK in the right sizes, I have them fitted already.

I've run these and z8's on both my big Triumphs and while I couldn't complain about the z8, I always preferred the feel of the Bridgestones. Fitting a set after anything else was like "coming home". Went to T30s once, but they didn't offer anything better, wore out faster and cost more. I'll probably fit BT023 on anything that will take them until they're discontinued. Cheap now, too!
Not sure if the BT023 are still available here. The shops are pushing the T30 Evo. What puts me off giving them a try is several reviews and forum comments about them having a stiffer case and a harsher ride. Reckon that's the last thing a basic suspension bike like the Zephyr needs, a tyre that makes the suspension itself work even harder.

So I'm thinking possibly the Perilli Angel GT's but most likely take a punt and try Continental Road Attack 2 or 3's. Not a well know brand here but I have found a source. They have the advantage of a near slick surface at the very edge of the tire. That's were the Roadtec 01's seem to come up short. The multiple across the rotation direction tread grooves are cupping badly at the very edges of the tyre. I don't need better rain focused tyres which seems to be the way the whole market is leaning on the driest continent on earth.

Stu

Post by Stu »

Interesting the different markets. We can still buy the 021, 023 and T30...
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Stu wrote:Interesting the different markets. We can still buy the 021, 023 and T30...
Don't know how it works in other parts of the world, but seemingly the whole wholesale non OEM motorcycle parts market in Australia is run by importation through independent distributors. It's up to the distributor what they import. As they have sole rights to import, whatever they decide is it.

The only way around them is to buy direct from overseas and have it shipped into the country yourself. At the moment that's still quite viable, but a pending change in the law forcing overseas sellers to collect our goods and services tax of 10% may kill it off. They in all likelihood will decide its just to hard to sell to Australia.