Converting wire wheels to tubeless

For all your handling questions
Freddy

Converting wire wheels to tubeless

Post by Freddy »

Decided to try converting the wire wheels on my D1 to tubeless. Getting rid of the tubes will reduce unsprung weight in each wheel by the best part of a kilo, but more importantly make it MUCH easier to repair a puncture if I get another one. Also a lot less repair gear to carry on extended trips.

This is the 'system' I decided to try sold out of Japan by japanwebike. It'll take a while to arrive and fit, but I though I'll start a thread to record the process, and success or otherwise.

Reviews of the product on the internet are generally very good. People have been running the product for years with zero leaks. The few complaints about the product I found all relate to poor application of the product, by people who seem not that mechanically savvy.

Finished process looks like the following .... There is a green adhesive tape covered by a protective whitish tape.

Swampy

Re: Converting wire wheels to tubeless

Post by Swampy »

Hopping that it all works out for you Freddy, keep us updated :)
Swamps :)
andyoz

Post by andyoz »

there's another one from Italy (I think) which fills the trough where the spoke nipples sit with a rubber type fill which also allows you to run tubeless but it's not a home diy kit you have to send your wheels away......... http://www.bartubeless.it/en
vambo

Post by vambo »

I've done that Outex kit on my 1100 and it works perfect :)

Leif
hear me now, believe me later......
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Received the kit and started on the front wheel.

Got the front tyre off ok with the Motion Pro spoons I have in the tool roll. They fit together to break the bead, and while its a bit of struggle they do actually work. First problem, a reasonable amount of rust in the inside corners of the rim. There is a OUTEX video where they deal with this problem by just grinding out the rust then applying the two sided tape. After pondering the prop and cons of this approach, I decided to treat the rust (sandblast, acid etch, and then paint with two coats of 2 part epoxy marine primer. This stuff is designed to moisture seal steel hulled boats constantly emerged in salt water, so its about as good a surface coating as you can get, and not cheap.

Another plus for sealing the rim with primer is that it will seal up the spoke nipples to prevent any further intrusion of water into the rim via the spokes.

At the moment just waiting for the first coat to dry (12 hours minimum before re-coating).
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Second coat of epoxy primer done, and finished the front wheel.

Actually much easier than I was expecting, given all the problems people on the internet said about getting the sealing tape to run straight. Anyone who has dome any amount of masking would find it dead easy. Both the two sided, and covering protective tape are actually quite forgiving to work with.

Remounted the front tyre and inflated it up to pressure. Tested in a water bath, and guess what, no leaks. So far so good.

Started work on the rear wheel. Much faster second time around, and already have the first coat of epoxy primer on. Sand blasting where the tape is going to run, and soda blasting the rest of the inside to clean it up is definitely the fastest way to prep the rim. I just use a $70 gravity feed air gun with the wheel inside a big plastic bag as my blast cabinet. Got to refill the relative small tank on the gun constantly, but for small jobs it works fine.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Checked the front tyre pressure, still spot on the 36 psi I put in 24 hours previously. SUCCESS!!!!
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Project now completed. Both front and back wheel finished, and holding pressure perfectly.

So that's 720 grams out of both the front wheel, and 750 grams out of the back. Thought I may as well go the whole trip on reducing un-sprung weight and have ordered some titanium bolts for the axle retaining bolts and brake calipers retaining bolts.

P.S. $300 for a lighter front axle (advertised on Japan Webbike) is just a bit stiff.
andyoz

Post by andyoz »

how's working out for you ……….. still ok????? as i'm looking into doing this.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

andyoz wrote:how's working out for you ……….. still ok????? as i'm looking into doing this.
Worked excellent.

Rear did initially have a VERY slow leak coming from one of the spokes when I tested it in a water bath. But exactly like the instruction sheet said (I had to get the manufacturer to email me English instructions as the one in the box was in Japanese) the small leak closed up itself pretty quickly.

They now hold pressure better than when they had a tube fitted.

P.S. I've taken the original tools out from inside the tail light, and a small tubeless puncture kit now lives there. No more concerns about getting a flat tyre.