Rear shocks replacement for my Zephyr

For all your handling questions
Dann

Rear shocks replacement for my Zephyr

Post by Dann »

Hello,

I wanted to change the rear shocks on my 1991 Zephyr 550. I know I could have serviced them and the price was decent where I live, about 200 USD. But I wanted a new set of shocks. I could have bought YSS or HAGON (well, the cheaper Hagons anyway) around that price, but I was curious about a Taiwanese company named YASUSU. They had great reviews as manufactures of suspensions for downhill and trial bicycles, but not so much feedback for motorcycles. So I went on and ordered a set, I thought that if I pay about the same price, I could get more in material quality, as they were not the cheaper models they make, but somewhere in the middle of the product line. So far I like them very much, seem sturdy built and work well on my bike. I don't know how long they will last, but worse case scenario if they break I can service my Kayabas. Anyway, they are nice and I've made a video review for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tXojTSIbqY&t=362s

For tyres I went with Bridgestone BT45 on the rear, it's quite good. It was difficult to get hold of the original dimensions, I waited a month to have them delivered from Germany and they were fresh out of the Japan factory :) . Front still has some Michelin that is in good condition.
Richard

Re: Rear shocks replacement for my Zephyr

Post by Richard »

You can now post youtube video's within a frame so it shows directly within the post
Click on youtube above the post area and just copy and past the URL from the top of the youtube video inbetween where the cursor is blincking:

Fishrider

Re: Rear shocks replacement for my Zephyr

Post by Fishrider »

About how much did the shocks cost? I am weighing options for my build. No way I can afford Ohlins or similar. Are they still performing well? How come you didn’t go with the piggy back style they offer for a similar stock look? TIA.