shock adjuster knobs

For all your handling questions
kinkyfreestyler

shock adjuster knobs

Post by kinkyfreestyler »

hi I have a set of 750 shocks that I had rebuilt a couple of years ago but the little black adjuster knobs are shit and no longer grip , so I have to remove them to change my shock settings if I want to carry my lad or someone else on the back .
Most annoying

Does anyone know if theres is a replacement for them or has anyone come up with a brilliant idea to get around the problem ?

thanks for any help .
ZoneAdmin
Site Admin

Re: shock adjuster knobs

Post by ZoneAdmin »

I found this article a while back from Gazzz Garage about a method to rebuild shocks for a Zephyr. In part 2 the guy shows how he made new adjusters.

https://www.gazzz-garage.com/2016/06/30 ... ck-part-1/

https://www.gazzz-garage.com/2016/07/12 ... ck-part-2/
Regards
Dennis

Current bikes: Zephyr 750 C4, Zephyr 750 C3
-------------------------------------------------------
Previous bikes: Kawasaki Z1000 A2, Kawasaki KH400 A4, Kawasaki KH250 B1
kinkyfreestyler

Post by kinkyfreestyler »

Hi thanks for the reply . nice idea that ! ,I'll have a think about that .
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

A different perspective to your problem.
Do you really need to adjust the compression and rebound damping on the rear when you carry a modest load on the back? IF you can find an adjustment out of those standard shocks that works, I'd just be leaving it at that. I think the major problem is actually the use of linear springs rather than a dual rate on the stock rear shocks. NO ONE these days uses linear springs on twin rear shocks, and for a very good reason. But I digress.

Why not just crank up the rear preload to reestablish an appropriate rider sag for the additional weigh. That can be done in a second due to the 'ramp' design of the preload adjuster. The shaft end of the screwdriver blade in the stock toolkit if it is still in the tail of the bike is intended for that purpose, fitting into the small cylinder on the side of the preload adjuster.