Newby

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
craig

Newby

Post by craig »

Hi guys... I'm Craig... Just picked up a 93 750 zephyr project bike...I'm wanting to transform it into the 2nd pic... Any ideas on the front forks please? First time project.... Thank you...
Attachments
Screenshot_20180104-221821.png
DSC_0880.JPG
craig

Re: Newby

Post by craig »

Clearly pics wrong way round lol
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

craig wrote:Hi guys... I'm Craig... Just picked up a 93 750 zephyr project bike...I'm wanting to transform it into the 2nd pic... Any ideas on the front forks please? First time project.... Thank you...
The bike in the picture has Ohlins fitted both front and back. You wont get much change for a pair of top line Ohlins on the back from $2,000. A complete set of right way up Ohlins cartridge forks, really don't know but my guess is with purchase plus the reasonable about of machining (yoke, hubs, calipers, etc) to get it all to fit, I'll take a guess at around $3,500. So my guess is an equivalent suspension is going to set you back somewhere around $5,000 - $6000.

Alternatively you can get a very good suspension front and back (not Ohlins) for about $2,000 all up. Won't have the 'bling factor' but will work nearly as well.

Just all depends how much you want to spend, and what performance level your are trying to achieve.

So I reckon first figure out a budget for the suspension, let us know, and then I can make some suggestions for you to consider.

Freddy.

P.S. Welcome to the forum, and great to see someone committing to a quality upgrade.
750R

Post by 750R »

if you need the Öhlins-Look it will get expensive - as Freddy Said!
A Cheap solution for a good suspension are original shocks (with fresh service!) and a ZZR 600 Fork ( Preload and rebound adjustable and the 4 Pot Calipers of the 1100 - this one fits the the original Yoke). Alternative is as ZRX front fork (Preload, rebound and pressure stage adjustable and 6pot calipers of the ZRX. there you need the Yoke of the Zephyr 1100 and new spacers!)
I ride ZRX front and Öhlins rear shocks in my 750 - nice combination with a lot of Solutions to "play".
And the golden Colour can be made ;)

The shown 750 has a complete Öhlins suspension, Brembo Brakes, Galespeed forged Wheels, wheelies Swingarm, Keihin FCR's, complete Z-900-Style Body kit and a CNC Yoke-kit. The Exhaust looks like Nitro Racing. And better don't Try to find prieces - yoyu will ahve Tears in Your Eyes :mrgreen:

Greetings - and sorry for google Translater ...
craig

Post by craig »

Thank you for the response guys... Gives me food for thought now to work out what to buy... Dnt want ohlins price... Just that kinda look. Best wishes Craig
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

craig wrote:Thank you for the response guys... Gives me food for thought now to work out what to buy... Dnt want ohlins price... Just that kinda look. Best wishes Craig
Performance is IMO far more important than look. And you don't need Ohlins to get that performance (or close enough to it). The front can be done for about $400, but unfortunately for the back there is no alternative to a decent set of correctly sprung and valved aftermarket piggyback shocks with independent external compression and rebound damping adjustment. Expect the price of a pair of shocks of this standard to start around $1,500.

I think reconditioning the existing shock and paying at least $200 for the exercise is just false economy for the reasons expressed in the old saying ..... 'you can't make a 'silk purse out of a sows ear'. You get pretty well exactly what you pay for when it comes to shock absorbers (Ohlins possibly being the exception where you pay a premium for the name).