New Battery ----- Maybe?

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
andye

Re: New Battery ----- Maybe?

Post by andye »

Most batteries fail without warning these days. Its due to the way they are now made.
In stead of slowly getting less & less effective as in years gone by, the grids will short out causing instant failure.
Keeping the Battery charged up helps them last.

Yuasa batteries are available for less than £50
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Beginning to wish that I had posted this in the 'Electrical' section now, it may of been of use to future members :o
Swamps :)
Richard

Post by Richard »

An admin can relocate this topic to any other place on this forum.
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Update,I fitted the battery last Friday and cranked the engine over a good few times to get the oil pressure up (had just done a oil & filter change). The battery seemed as lively as ever, have been out on the bike a few times and all seem good.
I think I'm going to hang in with it for another year, any signs of it slowing and that's it, a new one but as Bigzeph said his one was 14yrs old before he replaced it :o
Taking a gamble :D
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

My feeling is better safe than sorry. Peace of mind is priceless.
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Well, I should practice what I preach. The computer reset on it's own overnight on my other bike. The last 2 times it happened, I needed a new battery within a week both times. It is a way the bike tells me to replace the battery. Buying one today or tomorrow. I am staying with the standard battery, not ready to try the Lithium type yet, just dont know enough about it. The last battery lasted 5 years and 2 months.
Richard

Post by Richard »

So I parked my bike last autumn and left a (new) trickle charger on the battery. I started the bike once a month just to keep it 'fresh'. Last month it didn't start well and I felt the battery was having issues. Did some testing this week and indeed it's dead. Only 18 month old... :evil:
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Just an update, the same battery is still being used :o its still spinning the bike over like a goodun am I tempting fate here ? will it last another year ? we shall see :)