Carb mixture screw settings? Update!

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Shedman

Re: Carb mixture screw settings? Update!

Post by Shedman »

Well I put the new jets in, adjusted the float heights to 17mm, checked the fuel level, its exactly on the gasket face of the float bowl, set the mixture screws at 2+1/4 out and its still smoking like a bstard. I turned the mixture screws all the way in and its still smoking with fuel slowly dripping out of the silencer drain hole. I'm at my wits end with this bike so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

I'd be looking closely at the choke. Is the cable correctly adjusted. Are all the plungers returning to the fully closed position, with some free play in the slide mechanism (2 - 3 mm) etc.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

Yes, the choke returns fine but I don't need to use it to start the bike as its so warm here. I had a thought about this Wynn's Dry Fuel that I put in the tank, its supposed to bind any water in the tank to the fuel so that it will burn in the cylinders, what if there was actually quite a lot of water in the bottom of the tank? and it is now mixed in with the fuel in the tank? I took the bike down the road earlier and the amount of smoke is crazy, I could see the clouds of the stuff in the mirrors, this is not just a bit smokey. When I got back the silencers were smoking like a gun when the engine was off.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

I drained the tank, put in new fuel, a bit smokey but no where near as bad. Started it a couple of times to let it warm up again and there was less smoke each time. I only put a gallon of fuel in the tank so I reckon that if I fill her up and dilute what was left in, it will be problem solved. When I put the Wynn's Dry Fuel in I put a third of a 325ml bottle in with a full tank and gave it a good shake. I have to assume that there was quite a lot of water being held in suspension in the fuel causing the white smoke and not burning the mixture properly, causing the plugs to foul with soot. Unless anyone else can come up with a better reason but the bike seems to be running fine at the moment but I haven't ridden her yet.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

I took the bike for a 30 mile ride after filling the tank right up, there was some smoke for the first couple of miles but then it cleared. No smoke at all by the time I got home so it had to be the fuel. :D
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi that's good news ,I was just thinking if the exhaust you got might it have been stored with some oil in both ,I know I had to play about with my d1 carbs they can be a very time consuming thing ,david
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

David Richard wrote:hi that's good news ,I was just thinking if the exhaust you got might it have been stored with some oil in both ,I know I had to play about with my d1 carbs they can be a very time consuming thing ,david
Hi David, the exhaust came off a non runner that I bought just for the mint exhaust as decent original second hand systems can fetch a high price. I swapped the exhausts, got the bike running, tidied it up, MOT'd it and sold it for double what I paid for it so I effectively got the exhaust for free and some beer tokens for my trouble.