Zephyr Spotting

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
750four

Re: Zephyr Spotting

Post by 750four »

don't think that listing can be taken too seriously - mine's another 750 C4, and likewise, I haven't seen any others in my area for many a long year, any model 550/750 or 1100 for that matter.
Kawasaki KZ900A4
Suzuki GN250R
Suzuki GS550ET
Suzuki GT185A
Suzuki GT250B
Suzuki GT250M
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi the numbers as you would expect have been on the decline from the start of the chart which is a bit worrying I wonder what the next 10 years will bring ,the bikes should last if we look after them.im not sure if the quantity of bikes will survive like all of the old bikes we used to ride in the 70s onwards ,who knows ,david
750four

Post by 750four »

I'd like to think that there'll be a fair few Zephyrs, Zs and all other classic Jap bikes rolling along the roads for many years to come, but what worries me more is whether there will be enough people coming along after us old duffers have made the trip to the recycling yard who will actually know how to fix and fettle a Jap bike from the 60s, 70s etc which can't be plugged into a diagnostic tuning station and reset to 'GO'. :(
Kawasaki KZ900A4
Suzuki GN250R
Suzuki GS550ET
Suzuki GT185A
Suzuki GT250B
Suzuki GT250M
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

750four wrote:I'd like to think that there'll be a fair few Zephyrs, Zs and all other classic Jap bikes rolling along the roads for many years to come, but what worries me more is whether there will be enough people coming along after us old duffers have made the trip to the recycling yard who will actually know how to fix and fettle a Jap bike from the 60s, 70s etc which can't be plugged into a diagnostic tuning station and reset to 'GO'. :(
First off, thanks for the link Swampy.
What I would really like to know is who is buying all of the old Z's that appear on ebay and what are they doing with them as nobody seems to be riding them either. I see far more BSA's and (proper old) Triumphs on the road than I do Jap 60's,70's, 80's and even 90's bikes. Is it just a load of old guys with cashed in pensions and huge garden sheds that are buying them for investment purposes? Well I suppose we are all guilty of that to some degree, says the man with three SOHC 650 Honda's :oops: , but I do actually ride or intend to ride once fixed, all of my bikes. To me, the best part of biking other than actually riding them is to buy a dead bike and get it running again, the biggest buzz is when the old heap of a 'money pit' actually starts for the first time after so many years. It certainly comes to something when my 91 Zephyr was the oldest (by far) Jap bike at Matlock Bath on a sunny Sunday afternoon :(
Richard

Post by Richard »

Did some research and this data is publicly available in The Netherlands as well. I can't however tell the exact type like c1, c2, etc as this info is not registered.
In total we have 690 Zephyrs on the road:
Unknown Zephyrs: 4 (just registered as Kawasaki Zephyr)
Zephyr 400: 1
Zephyr 550: 259
Zephyr 750: 271
Zephyr 1100: 155

I have seen some on the road but not too often.
750four

Post by 750four »

wow - only one 400? There was one up for sale on fleabay just last week - wonder if its that one?
Kawasaki KZ900A4
Suzuki GN250R
Suzuki GS550ET
Suzuki GT185A
Suzuki GT250B
Suzuki GT250M
Richard

Post by Richard »

Personally I didn't know a 400 even existed ;)

Checked ebay but can't find it...
Hungry Wilf

Post by Hungry Wilf »

There will be at least one more 1100 A2 added to next years figures, mine is not far away now... :D
arejay

Post by arejay »

I've been riding round northern Spain / Portugal this week and I've seen a number of random zephyrs today- just seen a group of 5 or 6 go past, we've been coming here for some years and I've never seen a single one here before, ( also saw a group of zeds on the road) wondered if there is something retro kawasaki happening here this weekend
Attachments
DSC_0509.JPG
DSC_0511.JPG
DSC_0510.JPG