Jammed in gear. Back to the dealers RESOLVED

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Raven

Jammed in gear. Back to the dealers RESOLVED

Post by Raven »

Been really busy on the Zephyr 1100 this week. Made and fitted the exhaust baffles, replaced the road horn with the twin originals, Replaced the non standard handlebars with original ones along with the bar end weights and grips. All looking good until yesterday. Went for a ride the exhaust mod was sounding good the carb adjustment I did fixed the lumpy ticker over so very pleased indeed. Stopped at a junction pulled away and couldn't get the bike out of first gear. Pulled over and had a look no visible problem just stuck in first tried rocking the bike back and forth flipped the gear change up and down all to no avail. So today it's load the bike on the trailer and a 200 mile round trip back to the dealer in Exeter.

Anyone have any idea as to what the problem could be?? I've had no problem until now not jumping out of gear no missing gears only thing I noticed was it clonks quite load when changing from first to second and second to third. I had looked at a couple of videos of Zephyr rides and could hear in the background the bikes changing gear and could hear the same sound as mine so presumed this was just normal.

What are your thoughts anything I should point out to the dealer??

Thanks
Ross
Last edited by Raven on 16 Jul 2018, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
hugojose

Re: Jammed in gear. Back to the dealers

Post by hugojose »

My first thought would be the Kawasaki 'Positive Neutral Finder". It is a ball in a detent which prevents going beyond neutral if the bike is not moving. When the bike moves centrifugal force gets the ball out the groove to unlock the mechanism.
Raven

Re: Jammed in gear. Back to the dealers RESOLVED

Post by Raven »

Took the bike back to the dealers yesterday. (Sunday) Had a phone call this afternoon (next day) to say the problem had been sorted.
Apparently a bolt had come loose on the selector fork jamming the bike in first gear. The bolt was refitted and tightened to the correct specifications along with any others and the gears are now fine. So not to to much of a problem after all.. :D

I'll collect the bike at the weekend 8-) 8-)
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Glad its sorted, just wondering why the bolt came loose in the first place thou... Obviously someone's been in there before hand...
At least they have checked it all over now.... Happy days ahead :)
Swamps :)
750four

Post by 750four »

yep, good news - never nice when the new 'pride and joy' plays up, but good that the dealer was able to quickly sort it for you. Hope you enjoy your 1100 now - I certainly intend to enjoy mine!
Kawasaki KZ900A4
Suzuki GN250R
Suzuki GS550ET
Suzuki GT185A
Suzuki GT250B
Suzuki GT250M