Engine noice

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Zephyr

Engine noice

Post by Zephyr »

Hello all zephyr owners out there, I have a 750 zephyr with a metal angainst metal rumbling noise from the gearbox or clutch when idling. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or what could be the cause of the problem?
David Richard

Re: Engine noice

Post by David Richard »

hi welcome can you shed any more info on the bike and noise what year and millage ,do you know any history of the bike if its new to you .does the noise stop when you rev it or pull the clutch in ,when these engines are cold they are a bit noise and if the carbs need to be balanced they can sound a bit rough im sure somebody will be quick to reply ,david
Freddy

Re: Engine noice

Post by Freddy »

Zephyr wrote:Hello all zephyr owners out there, I have a 750 zephyr with a metal angainst metal rumbling noise from the gearbox or clutch when idling. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or what could be the cause of the problem?
Because its somewhat 'normal' for a cold 750 engine to sound like a pile of nuts and bolts in a cement mixer, and this wall of sound is difficult to pinpoint, without actually hearing the sound its difficult to say if its one of the fixable 'normal' noises or something else.

Any chance of a taking a short video with a half decent sound recording with your mobile phone and posting it up? Don't ask me how one uploads video's (still pics I know) but someone I'm sure will advice if your unsure.