oil coolers

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
blake12345

oil coolers

Post by blake12345 »

Hi there, I was wondering if there was anything stopping my from using an oil cooler made for a car on the Zeph? I have a spare 10 row and a 19 row mishimoto oil cooler and was thinking of putting it on the bike. Id need to adapt some AN fittings and lines but thats kind of the easy part. I just wasnt sure if all oil coolers are the same

Thanks
Blake
Swampy

Re: oil coolers

Post by Swampy »

I would think an oil cooler is a oil cooler, as long as you can mount the thing and run the pipes then why not, but it might look a bit odd :?
Swamps :)
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

yeh I've put car oil coolers on before but like swampy says they don't always 'go' , just depends on the look your after , good luck :)
1995 ZR1100A2
Corey

Post by Corey »

What size are you planning on adding? Picture and dimensions?

Just as long as air gets too and through the larger cooler, it will work. That is why I replaced my stock GPz550 Oil Cooler with a ZR550/ZR750 Cooler.

1985 GPz550 Daily Commuter (loads of fun stuff)
2003 SV650s Racebike #44
TREVOR9

Post by TREVOR9 »

Won't it then take longer for the engine to get up to running temperature? Kawasaki made the oil radiator that size for a reason!
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

TREVOR9 wrote:Won't it then take longer for the engine to get up to running temperature? Kawasaki made the oil radiator that size for a reason!
The oil cooler has nothing to do with the engine. It is merely there as safety to limit the oil temperature and to remove the extra heat from the wet clutch cooled by the oil. ....Moreover, when the bike is not moving, the oil coolere has no effect whatsoever.....

,,,,,liquid cooled high performance bikes also have oil coolers for the same reason,....the wet clutch.