1100 Carb Rubbers tight fit !!

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Ivor

1100 Carb Rubbers tight fit !!

Post by Ivor »

anyone have any good ideas/tricks on how to get these carb rubbers in ? been trying for ages and its a right old squeeze . if you put them on the carbs first you cant get the air box in the frame and if you put them on the air box first you cant get the carbs in.. :evil:
Attachments
carb rubbers.jpg
1995 ZR1100A2
David Richard

Re: 1100 Carb Rubbers tight fit !!

Post by David Richard »

Hi yes roll your sleeves up and ask people to stay away from you for 20 mins ,the secret to this is make sure you know which one goes where they are left and right handed ,I have a 750 ,so I think the same method should work .put them in through the air box then ease them into place so they fit in the recess of the air filter ,you have to poke and prod and pull them through they wont stay in shape till they are in place .I start on the middle 2 then outside 2 ,when you have got each one in put the spring around each rubber,dont forget this or you will never get them on ,when they are all in the air box move the assembly onto the carbs ,push carefully and when you get a couple on it will stay put ,you will then have to ease the springs over that's a bit fiddley but satisfying when they click into place good luck david
Larry02ACR

Post by Larry02ACR »

On the 550 I put them on the airbox first. But I also have to take the air filter housing and side covers off the airbox and make sure the airbox is loose in the frame. That way you have some wiggle room.

I have to then slide the carbs in above the rubbers, left to right (as you sit on the bike,) and then down and into rubbers. I normally fit the carbs into the intake manifolds first, and then wiggle the airbox boots on.

Don't know if it's the same for the 1100, but it might help.
- Larry
1990 Zephyr 550, 1978 KZ400, 2004 KX250
jrkk

Post by jrkk »

I remove the grill from airbox so your hand will fit there.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=194&start=30
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

I'll describe how to do it for a 750 and take what you can from that, no idea how applicable it is to an 1100.

You have to fit the airbox rubbers into the airbox first.

The airbox with fitted rubbers has to be moved as far back in the frame as possible. To achieve that you remove the air cleaner lid, remove the filter, and remove the air filter housing. On the sides of the airbox are two rubber blocks that position it in the frame. Prize these off trying not to damage them (you'll superglue back on when its all together again).

Wipe inside both inlet and airbox rubbers with rubber grease to facilitate them sliding on easier.

Bring the carbies in (with cables attached) from the left hand side. Bring them in above the inlet rubbers (not under). They are pushed down into the inlet rubbers first from above. Then push the airbox forward fitting the rubbers. Roll the retaining springs into position.

Refit air filter box, filter, etc.

As I said, this procedure is for a 750. But every carby make/model bike I've worked on required the airbox to be retracted to get the carbies out and in. I'd be surprised if the 1100 was different.
arejay

Post by arejay »

I see you are in Hampshire- possibly only a few miles away from me in Bognor if you are at the emsworth end, If so I may be able to pop round and show you how I do mine
Greenzephyr

Post by Greenzephyr »

If they are the original ones then you will struggle I bought new rubbers not at all expensive but made the job a lot easier.
Greenzephyr

Post by Greenzephyr »

If they are the original ones then you will struggle I bought new rubbers not at all expensive but made the job a lot easier.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

thanks everyone, I got them in in the end, they were original ones so had gone hard , I warmed them up with some hot water and fiddled and squeezed and swore and pinched my fingers, wrapped my knuckles and swore some more (you were right david about telling everyone to stay away!... I was raging mad!!) [thanks also arejay for offering to come round and help but i'm lymington end of Hampshire] I just need to fit the choke cable and find the choke leaver which has gone walkies somewhere and I can try and start her up :)
1995 ZR1100A2
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi ivor that's good news you did it I will try freddy way of doing it next time and you know there will be a next time,david